Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Video card driver causing PC to crash
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:56 pm 

Hey all. I am having this problem setting up my new rig. I have a FireGL X2 256t video card, a tyan thunder k8w mobo, 2 opteron 250s, 4g ram, an adaptec raid card and a 3ware raid card. everything is fine until i install the video driver. ive tried several versions offered by ati, but it all comes to the same outcome. whenever i install the driver, the system will say it needs to be rebooted, like normal. i go ahead and do this, but when the system comes back up into windows, the monitor will go dark, and after about a minute, the system will reboot itself. it becomes totally unresponsive, even to the point of not allowing my kvm switch to operate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:31 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

sure you got the right drivers? send an e mail over to ATI and ask them specifically for the newest driver and tell them what card you have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:07 am 

yeah, im sure. i got the unified drivers for the firegl line, then tried the driver only, then i tried a previous version, all unsucessful. ati has a pretty good site for finding the driver you need, but im wondering if there is some issue with my mobo or another component

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:22 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

yea the ATI site is good for drivers. does it work fine before you install the drivers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:46 am 

Yep. its a bit slow, as the display is in compatibility mode, but i dont have any problems. in device manager there are 2 question marks, one says video controller, the other says video controller(secondary). i guess the secondary is for the second display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:53 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Does your mobo have any built-in video? make sure that it is disabled in your bios if it does. Toying with your bios settings for your AGP slot might also help. Be sure you are competely wiping the old video drivers before installing new ones as well. I believe ATI has a rather nice tool or this on their download list.