Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Random Lock-Ups
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:37 am 

Me again. I've been experiencing the same random lock-ups that plagued my system before. As mentioned in a previous thread, these are almost always caused when I play some video file, but only when I am doing that (as of now that's all that's caused a lock-up). I'm using a fresh new installation of XP pro with Service Pack 2, so I can't see the problem being a virus or anything of that nature. Here are the system specs:

340-watt Power supply
Radeon 9600XT (256mb) from Sapphire
Gigabyte 7vtxe motherboard
256 MB RAM (Kingston, using dimm socket 2 as the others cause reboots)
Windows XP Pro with SP2

I've had someone recommend using a bigger power supply, but I don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. Also, it doesn't appear as though the CPU or video card are running hot. However, all I've checked is the CPU from the BIOS (which doesn't tell me much). What's the best way to monitor both of their temps from windows?
Thx

Post subject: Re: Random Lock-Ups
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:52 am 

Do you have the latest drivers loaded? Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

For the temperatures you can try Everest or Belarc Advisor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

does it just freeze, restart, bluescreen?

Post subject: Re: Random Lock-Ups
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:26 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hulksmash wrote:
Me again. I've been experiencing the same random lock-ups that plagued my system before. As mentioned in a previous thread, these are almost always caused when I play some video file, but only when I am doing that (as of now that's all that's caused a lock-up). I'm using a fresh new installation of XP pro with Service Pack 2, so I can't see the problem being a virus or anything of that nature. Here are the system specs:

340-watt Power supply
Radeon 9600XT (256mb) from Sapphire
Gigabyte 7vtxe motherboard
256 MB RAM (Kingston, using dimm socket 2 as the others cause reboots)
Windows XP Pro with SP2

I've had someone recommend using a bigger power supply, but I don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. Also, it doesn't appear as though the CPU or video card are running hot. However, all I've checked is the CPU from the BIOS (which doesn't tell me much). What's the best way to monitor both of their temps from windows?
Thx

What are the specs on the sound card? From what I have heard on this forum and read online from tech articles your problem could be SP2.

What application are you using to view these video files?

Post subject: okay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:36 pm 

I had all these troubles long before I installed Service Pack 2, and after installing it the problems have subsided a little but still exist. I'm using the the Audigy 1 with the updated drivers from Creative's website along with the updated catalyst drivers for my ATI card. I also do have the updated Hyperion chipset drivers (VIA) installed.

Any other ideas, guesses?
Thankx.

Post subject: Oh and
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:39 pm 

The PC just freezes, locks-up. There is no BSOD (other than the one I paint on the monitor from frustration) and no error message.

Post subject: Re: Oh and
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:44 pm 

Hulksmash wrote:
The PC just freezes, locks-up. There is no BSOD (other than the one I paint on the monitor from frustration) and no error message.
When the PC freezes can you turn the num lock on and off and/or CTRL+ALT+DEL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:10 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

This is probably a heat issue. my p3 system kept locking up at random times, and i realized this was a heat problem. i added a fan in the front for intake, and there has been no more lock ups.

list your cpu/hsf/cooling specs. we could probably weed out the problem faster...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:49 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Sorry, didn't read your previous thread, but as mentioned, heat is a likely culprit. WMP sucks up CPU cycles, and if you don't do other CPU intensive tasks, you may not experience the problem otherwise. If the problem also occurs with 3-d gaming/video encoding/etc., you've more than likely got a heat problem. Does the problem persist if you open the files with a different videoplayer? besides the various flavors of WMP, you can also try winamp and irfan. Or perhaps it's a codec problem? seems pretty unlikely though. Also be sure you installed your mobo drivers right after OS installation. oh, nevermind, i see it looks like you did.