Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: laptop completely died
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Woo, this is a fun one!

Just a note: I've already decided to send this little bastard of a laptop back to the hellish pits of Dell from whence it came.

I apologize for the lacking descriptions; I was unforunately without my camera at the time, but I definitely would've taken some pictures had it been in my possession. It was that weird.

Every night I leave my laptop on and plugged in with my AIM open to receive messages. This night (about a week ago from Monday 8/31) was no different. Then in the morning when I awoke to turn on my desktop and revive my laptop from its cold slumber with the monitor turned off (suspend is disabled when it is plugged in), it did not respond.

At first, I thought it might be an error in windows, so I pushed and held the power button to turn it off. I tried to turn it on again, but this time, not even a POST, just a flicker of the laptop LEDs and nothing more. I was horrified at this point, so I shut it down cold again and left it alone while waiting, hoping it would function normally after leaving it along (hoping it was heat or some such thing).

To my surprise it did work after 10 minutes in the off position. I sighed relief and hoped that my day would continue normally. But as it booted up, I noticed it was doing so incredibly slowly. When it did finally get to the windows log-in screen, the strangest thing I've ever seen happen to a monitor started to happen.

It was as if the image was freezing then melting down the screen. If I could compare it to something it would be like going to a cold window and blowing hot-air onto it and then watching the fog created slowly roll away. The only difference is that it would do this in reverse and act as if this "fog" were dripping downwards.

For fear that I might be damaging it further, I turned it off and set it aside hoping to figure out what was going on.

It did this twice more when I tried to turn it on, even after entering BIOS, and then finally stopped turning on at all. I replaced it with a friend's Inspiron 8600 battery to see if that might be a power issue at all, but that made no difference.

Currently it is in this state. It will not POST but some of the external devices ( the DVD-burner for example) receive power enough to flash their LEDs and open when I push the button. Nothing else really functions. It doesn't get all the hot from being left on for a little bit, nothing out of the ordinary, run-of-the-mill heat, anyway.

So since I've pretty much decided to return this possessed laptop to Dell so they can deal with its insanity, this is more of a griping post than anything

But if you might know what the hell is going on, give your opinion.

Again, I apologize for the lack of pictures, because it really was freaky as all hell.

Post subject: Re: laptop completely died
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:53 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Woo, this is a fun one!

Just a note: I've already decided to send this little bastard of a laptop back to the hellish pits of Dell from whence it came.

I apologize for the lacking descriptions; I was unforunately without my camera at the time, but I definitely would've taken some pictures had it been in my possession. It was that weird.

Every night I leave my laptop on and plugged in with my AIM open to receive messages. This night (about a week ago from Monday 8/31) was no different. Then in the morning when I awoke to turn on my desktop and revive my laptop from its cold slumber with the monitor turned off (suspend is disabled when it is plugged in), it did not respond.

At first, I thought it might be an error in windows, so I pushed and held the power button to turn it off. I tried to turn it on again, but this time, not even a POST, just a flicker of the laptop LEDs and nothing more. I was horrified at this point, so I shut it down cold again and left it alone while waiting, hoping it would function normally after leaving it along (hoping it was heat or some such thing).

To my surprise it did work after 10 minutes in the off position. I sighed relief and hoped that my day would continue normally. But as it booted up, I noticed it was doing so incredibly slowly. When it did finally get to the windows log-in screen, the strangest thing I've ever seen happen to a monitor started to happen.

It was as if the image was freezing then melting down the screen. If I could compare it to something it would be like going to a cold window and blowing hot-air onto it and then watching the fog created slowly roll away. The only difference is that it would do this in reverse and act as if this "fog" were dripping downwards.

For fear that I might be damaging it further, I turned it off and set it aside hoping to figure out what was going on.

It did this twice more when I tried to turn it on, even after entering BIOS, and then finally stopped turning on at all. I replaced it with a friend's Inspiron 8600 battery to see if that might be a power issue at all, but that made no difference.

Currently it is in this state. It will not POST but some of the external devices ( the DVD-burner for example) receive power enough to flash their LEDs and open when I push the button. Nothing else really functions. It doesn't get all the hot from being left on for a little bit, nothing out of the ordinary, run-of-the-mill heat, anyway.

So since I've pretty much decided to return this possessed laptop to Dell so they can deal with its insanity, this is more of a griping post than anything

But if you might know what the hell is going on, give your opinion.

Again, I apologize for the lack of pictures, because it really was freaky as all hell.

Well that is interesting. Nice story to tell around the camp fire. :D

In my opinion, it sounds like the RAM has gone bad, monitor has been damaged, or the video card has gone bad some how. If you can get hold of some system diagnostic software like Quick Tech Pro (not free, but what I use at work) to run from a floppy disk, you might find out what is going on.

If you find out yourself, please finish the rest of the horror story. lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:15 am 

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Every night I leave my laptop on and plugged in with my AIM open to receive messages.

You might want to check for virus/trojans/malware. Here's a page from my site with a bunch of on-line virus scans. I recommend running RAV and Bit Defender first. If you find infection with one of those run Panda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:03 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

sounds like monitor meltdown to me. you shoulda tried hooking it up to your desktop monitor and see if it continued to do that. if not that i'd go with faulty vid. card.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:23 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

RKilroy wrote:
ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Every night I leave my laptop on and plugged in with my AIM open to receive messages.

You might want to check for virus/trojans/malware. Here's a page from my site with a bunch of on-line virus scans. I recommend running RAV and Bit Defender first. If you find infection with one of those run Panda.

Housecall (housecall.trendmicro.com) is another very good and free online virus scanner. I use that at my workplace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:10 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Yup. Fuck Dell.

I've got a couple of laptops from work that are Dell and they suck.

The one I use the most, refuses to work properly with any Wireless adapter I try. It's not the adapters, 'cause I tried 'em in another laptop (A Dell oddly enough) and they work fine.

The other one I have has battery problems. (Actually both do.)

I've seen countless stories with Dell having bad batteries.

<Jay and Silent bob>
Fuck Dell, Fuck them up their stupid asses
</J&SB>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:50 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Woo, this is a fun one!

And you snickered at me two weeks ago when I picked Gateway over Dell. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

baldeagle wrote:
Well that is interesting. Nice story to tell around the camp fire. :D

In my opinion, it sounds like the RAM has gone bad, monitor has been damaged, or the video card has gone bad some how. If you can get hold of some system diagnostic software like Quick Tech Pro (not free, but what I use at work) to run from a floppy disk, you might find out what is going on.

If you find out yourself, please finish the rest of the horror story. lol

I checked RAM for visible meltdown/shorting/etc. Nothing there, but it could be nonvisible.

Personally, I think I fucked the cpu or power supply (hence no POST).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:29 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

RKilroy wrote:
ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:

lollerz, I had all the spy removal software, AVG, a hardware router and ZoneAlarm. That thing was tighter than Mandy Moore.

Anyways, it won't even POST, so it's more than likely not a program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

gramaton cleric wrote:
sounds like monitor meltdown to me. you shoulda tried hooking it up to your desktop monitor and see if it continued to do that. if not that i'd go with faulty vid. card.

Sounded like a possibility to me until it wouldn't even POST. I mean, the caps won't function, no beeps from errors (if faulty video).

I still think something major like power or cpu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

TWBalls wrote:
Yup. Fuck Dell.

I've got a couple of laptops from work that are Dell and they suck.

The one I use the most, refuses to work properly with any Wireless adapter I try. It's not the adapters, 'cause I tried 'em in another laptop (A Dell oddly enough) and they work fine.

The other one I have has battery problems. (Actually both do.)

I've seen countless stories with Dell having bad batteries.

<Jay and Silent bob>
Fuck Dell, Fuck them up their stupid asses
</J&SB>

The sucker has been a dream for me. Honestly, I liked it better than my desktop.

This is the first (and I guess last :( ) problem I've had with it.

It wasn't the batteries for me because I tested another set of batteries (battery?) from my friend's I8600.

*shrug*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Spider Monkey wrote:
ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Woo, this is a fun one!

And you snickered at me two weeks ago when I picked Gateway over Dell. :twisted: :twisted:

I still do... you'll be here in a month; that, or the cows will eat you in your sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:29 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i'd go dell over gateway, every review picks them over gateway for customer service and performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Betcha a donut its the cpu. You tried another psu and it made no difference.
Condolences.

Dell AND Gateway suck, heh heh heh :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:14 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

If you haven't already:

Dell Support

There should be a number there to call for you. I'm sure they'll attempt to have you run tests, but after you repeatedly tell them that it won't power on reguardless of battery or A/C, they should issue an RMA. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

gramaton cleric wrote:
i'd go dell over gateway, every review picks them over gateway for customer service and performance

Yea well I heard about how great Dell's Customer Support is suppose to be and you hear how they keep winning award because of it. I have a friend who has a Dell.

It started messing up so she brought it to me. I did chkdsk /r and all the basic stuff to find out what was wrong. The main problem with her system is that it would freeze up while trying to load user profiles for any account on there. I was able to get into the administrative account fine.

I found out that it was still under Dell's warranty so I gave her the option and told her that I did not know what would void the warranty from what I would do to it. She chose the option to go with Dell's Customer Service since it was paid for and all. She paid extra to extend the warranty. They kept giving her the usual run around and all for about two months. About two weeks ago she called and finally got someone who helped her. Her PC is fixed again. They told her to do a system restore lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

TWBalls wrote:
If you haven't already:

Dell Support

There should be a number there to call for you. I'm sure they'll attempt to have you run tests, but after you repeatedly tell them that it won't power on reguardless of battery or A/C, they should issue an RMA. :)

I counted.

I said every time "I need to send it back, trust me.. it's not even POSTing..." for two hours and explained what happened to it to four different people. After 7 total hours, they finally issued me an RMA and I'll be sending it off tomorrow, because on Friday -- when I did this -- it was too late to get the box to me.

Oh well... at least I could understand the chick's voice.