Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AGP Texture Acceleration button inactive in DXDIAG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:30 am 

Hi,

After lots of huffing and puffing, I finally managed to get my Windows XP installed and everything seems fine. One wee thing that is bothering me, though, is that AGP Acceleration button on the Display tab of DXDIAG is inactive. I've reinstalled the drivers for my Radeon 9800 Pro and it's still the same. The BIOS reports that the AGP setting is at 8X.

Is this a major problem or can I just ignore it and move on with my life?

Specs:

ASUS A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi Motherboard (socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)
512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 Memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Onboard sound
Hitachi 160GB SATA150 HDD
Sony DVD-ROM
Sony DVD +/- R/W
Windows XP Home (SP1)
420W Power Supply

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:26 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Not sure exactly what you mean, so I will ask for clarification.

In DxDiag, you are talking about under the Display tab, where it says Direct X features right? there should be a line for "direct draw acceleration", "Direct 3D acceleration", and lastly "AGP Texture Acceleration", which i believe is the one you are talking about.

It should read: "AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled"
and then there should be a box to the right of that line that gives you the option to disable.

Is it reading "AGP Texture Acceleration: Disabled", and you are not able to "enable"?

Also, make sure you are running DX 9.0b, and of course have the latest mobo bios, the correct bios settings for AGP, and the latest videocard drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:32 am 

Urvile wrote:

In DxDiag, you are talking about under the Display tab, where it says Direct X features right? there should be a line for "direct draw acceleration", "Direct 3D acceleration", and lastly "AGP Texture Acceleration", which i believe is the one you are talking about.

and then there should be a box to the right of that line that gives you the option to disable.

Is it reading "AGP Texture Acceleration: Disabled", and you are not able to "enable"?

Also, make sure you are running DX 9.0b, and of course have the latest mobo bios, the correct bios settings for AGP, and the latest videocard drivers.

Urvile,

Cheers for the reply! You're pretty much spot on with what I was trying to say. AGP Texture Acceleration is listed as Not Available. I also checked with msinfo32.exe and it reports that bus speeds available for my card are 4X and 8X. Actual bus speed is reported as 0.

I have DirectX 9.0c installed and also the latest BIOS (1066). I've also checked the AGP settings in the BIOS - it's reported as 8X. Could this just be a wee Microsoft/ATI foible that I can safely ignore? I have at least 20 games that I've bought recently (Far Cry and Doom 3 to mention just two) and I'm hesitant to install them in case my system goes belly up again.

Thank you.

Post subject: Success at last
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:18 am 

Urvile wrote:

Got things up and running. I just needed the VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 drivers. I'm now all set and ready to blast my way through Far Cry, Doom 3, Tron 2.0, Vietcong, both Battlefields, No One Lives Forever 2, etc... Guess I'll be getting no sleep this Labor Day weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:02 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Glad you got it going! and are we up to DX9.0c already? dang. I was hoping those Via drivers (mobo drivers) would do the trick. It's an easy step to forget when doing a new install, god knows i have before.