Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CD-RW Drive problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:15 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I am using Nero (version 6) to burn my CD's and I am suspecting that my CD-RW drive is functioning improperly because all 3 of my attempts to burn data onto a CD have failed. Is there any program to test my CD-RW drive to see if its functioning properly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Update to the latest version of Nero if you have XPSP2 installed. Otherwise try another burning prog to see if it works like the one that is built into WinXP.

Try the manufacturer's site who made your CD-RW. Some have diagnostic programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:32 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

umm.....what cd media are you using? if you use your cd media on another computer and it works, then its not your cd. if you havent tested your cd media in another computer, do so and if you still get errors it could be your cd media. also try changing the ide cable of the cdrw. could be a bad cable and i had problems before and it turns out to be a simple bad cable. try searching for new firmwares for your cdrw.

if your cdrw works before and its starting to mess up, it could be that your cdrw lifespan is through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:50 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

keymaker wrote:
umm.....what cd media are you using? if you use your cd media on another computer and it works, then its not your cd. if you havent tested your cd media in another computer, do so and if you still get errors it could be your cd media. also try changing the ide cable of the cdrw. could be a bad cable and i had problems before and it turns out to be a simple bad cable. try searching for new firmwares for your cdrw.

if your cdrw works before and its starting to mess up, it could be that your cdrw lifespan is through.

Hogwash.

If the media works in another computer that proves nothing. Could be the cable but I doubt it. Wouldn't hurt to try.

CD-RW's do not have lifespans. Some new ones quit working like a Sony 4X DVD burner I used to have and some live forever like an old HP 4X CD-RW I had that is still working in an old computer.

It should still work with the firmware that is in it. They don't quit because of forgetting to update firmware unless some new type of media is used. That problem is mostly associated with DVD burners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:25 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i second hogwash. i bought a new cd drive and it died wthin 2 weeks but i still have ancient drives that read at 2x that work fine. as for media you have to just see what works. the brand that works for me is vermatim 40x, my friend however cant burn crap with those same discs. go around and buy 5 packs of major brands and see what works and when you find one that does buy a 100 pack. another thing to look out for is corrupted data. what are you trying to burn? does it work fine from our harddrive? if its not the file its most likley the media.

Post subject: Re: CD-RW Drive problems
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:52 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

TimWang wrote:
I am using Nero (version 6) to burn my CD's and I am suspecting that my CD-RW drive is functioning improperly because all 3 of my attempts to burn data onto a CD have failed. Is there any program to test my CD-RW drive to see if its functioning properly?

As was already metioned you should be able to use to one that came with xp but if not try media player and burn a track of music on to the RW if it works then it maybe that you have corrupt data in the file(s) you are copying. Does it look like it is burned onto the CD or is it Nero that is telling you its unable to verify the data on the disk. Also check Nero for updates i use nero too and haven't had an issue yet but that means nothing since i don't have you setup. Happy hunting :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:12 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

There is an issue with Nero6.xx and XPSP2. Update Nero and let us know. It still could be a failed drive. Try it in another machine if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Is Nero 6 the software that came with your burning? If it's Nero 5 the switch back and it might start working again. Same thing happen to me and I switched back and i'ts good. I think Nero 6 burning engine is still a bit buggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:28 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

3rdegreeBurn wrote:
Is Nero 6 the software that came with your burning? If it's Nero 5 the switch back and it might start working again. Same thing happen to me and I switched back and i'ts good. I think Nero 6 burning engine is still a bit buggy.

Nero 6 is fine with the latest updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:00 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, Nero 5 came with my CD-RW drive. I am going to switch back to 5 and try again.