Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer turns itself off at boot up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:48 am 

I just replaced my brothers P3 600EB with an old athlon 1600+ I had laying around. I'm not sure what motherboard it is. I installed everything and got winxp loaded then the computer just started turning itself off at boot up. I was wondering if it could be the power supply. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

JP

Post subject: Re: Computer turns itself off at boot up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:17 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

BeePeer wrote:
I just replaced my brothers P3 600EB with an old athlon 1600+ I had laying around. I'm not sure what motherboard it is. I installed everything and got winxp loaded then the computer just started turning itself off at boot up. I was wondering if it could be the power supply. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

JP

Double check which fan header you have the CPU fan plugged into. On this computer at work, it was set up in the bios to shut off when the fan failed. The fan was working fine, it was just on FAN4 instead of CPU (or FAN1?).

Might want to find out the model of the motherboard and download the manual to see if it has this feature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:25 am 
Celeron
Celeron

BeePeer wrote:

JP

Sounds confusing, as it seems like you haven't replaced the mobo yet. But, im sure you have.(Right?!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:41 am 
Northwood
Northwood

BeePeer wrote:

JP

how about telling us what power supply? i assume you replaced the mobo too since you got as far as installing Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

load bios defaults

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:57 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

find out what manufacturer the mobo is and go to their website and check out the supported chipset. then downloaded the latest chipset drivers for the mobo and install it. reboot computer and see if that fixes the problem. could also be hardware like a flaky ram or some osrt. try booting up with one ram at a time or try changing ram slots.

also try switching ide cables to see if its a bad cable, reseat computer parts like videocard, ram, mobo, and cpu. you also check if the hdd is to blame. you can try performing a chkdsk or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:40 am 

The thing is I loaded winxp and downloaded sp2 and installed a few games and a few programs Sunday night and everything was fine. When he tried to turn the computer back on Monday morning is when it just started turning itself off at boot up. I tried booting into safe mode and when it gets to loading MUP.SYS it shuts itself down again.

I'm at a complete loss.

JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

take it appart and put it back together...Or try running it with no case. But it sounds like something is broken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:22 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I suspect the power suppy because I had the exact same problem just last week. Just swap your power supply with another working computer.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:38 pm 

this is far fetched, but i had a problem like that when i accidentally installed my floppy's power cable upside down :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:33 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

hehe, I've done that b4....and it was like the first thing I was taught about building PC's....I guess for a reason, because it's actually pretty common. You feel dumb for a week afterward though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If you connect the power cable to the floppy incorrectly, the activity light will stay on forever. I did that 2 weeks ago, while installing an RAID setup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:55 am 
Northwood
Northwood

kabronzky wrote:
If you connect the power cable to the floppy incorrectly, the activity light will stay on forever. I did that 2 weeks ago, while installing an RAID setup!

that's the case if you installed the data cable wrong, not the power cable.