Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with XP Pro (folder properties); MSConfig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:44 am 

2 problems. (1) When I right click on any sub-folder under my C or D drive and choose properties, nothing happens. The same is true for the sharing and security. Won't let me go there. All other choices on the sub-menu work. I can go to my local C or D main local disk folder and open up properties or the sharing and security. All drives run NTFS. Must be a setting somewhere, but can't see it. (2) Under MSconfig, the startup menu. There is a folder/file that is no longer valid on my C drive. Where is that info stored so it can be edited? I know you can remove the checkmark, but I'd like to permanently remove the line. Right mouse click is not available at that window. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:12 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Sounds to me like you are running under a limited account. Go to user accounts in the control panel to change the way you log in.

Post subject: Re: Help with XP Pro (folder properties); MSConfig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

sbecertified wrote:
2 problems. (1) When I right click on any sub-folder under my C or D drive and choose properties, nothing happens. The same is true for the sharing and security. Won't let me go there. All other choices on the sub-menu work. I can go to my local C or D main local disk folder and open up properties or the sharing and security. All drives run NTFS. Must be a setting somewhere, but can't see it. (2) Under MSconfig, the startup menu. There is a folder/file that is no longer valid on my C drive. Where is that info stored so it can be edited? I know you can remove the checkmark, but I'd like to permanently remove the line. Right mouse click is not available at that window. :?:

You can remove anything from the Startup tab in MSCONFIG within the Registry.

1. Start, Run, Type Regedit.
2. HKEY_Local_Machine, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, finally Run, RunOnce, or RunEx. (Each of these can hold stuff for msconfig)
3. Delete any values in the right view panel and it will be gone from the list and will not load at startup.

Note: There is also a Run, RunOnce, and RunEx in HKEY_Current_User under basic location as above.

Post subject: Re: Help with XP Pro (folder properties); MSConfig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:20 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

baldeagle wrote:
sbecertified wrote:

You can remove anything from the Startup tab in MSCONFIG within the Registry.

1. Start, Run, Type Regedit.
2. HKEY_Local_Machine, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, finally Run, RunOnce, or RunEx. (Each of these can hold stuff for msconfig)
3. Delete any values in the right view panel and it will be gone from the list and will not load at startup.

Note: There is also a Run, RunOnce, and RunEx in HKEY_Current_User under basic location as above.

I just want to add one step in here that I think got left out on #2 after you get to Windows go to Current version then you should see Run, RunOnce...etc.

Post subject: help with XP Pro MSConfig (Baldeagle & Wiked_smart)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:36 am 

Thanks for your help Baldeagle and Wiked_smart. The files I was looking for weren't exactly where you said, but close. Have been removing all the claws of Srng adware out of my computer. I had searched the registry the other day for all files pertaining to this, but came up empty. This time I came up with several more registry entries. One of the entries was under MSConfig under Hkey_local_machine. Must have typed the search in wrong the first time. :oops: Not sure. I ran search several times to make sure. After removing all the entries and rebooting again, interestingly my first problem has disappeared. Again, not sure if the srng files had something to do with it. My user name always logs in with admin rights. Maybe the first problem was an anomaly. Haven't had it happen before and tried several things to rectify it the other day. :D

sbecertified

3.2Ghz Pentium O/Ced to 3.6Ghz
Abit Max 3 MoBo
1Gig Corsair 4000 memory
(2) WD 36Gig Raptors Raid 0
WD 200Gig (D) drive
EVGA 5900 Nvidia 256mb memory
PC Power 510watt P/S
XP Pro O/S