Post subject: Problems with Gateway ms-6312 motherboard
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:00 pm 

System:
Pentium III 733mhz 256mB L2
ms-6312 flex atx MB made for gatway w/gateway logo
80 GB seagate 5400 HD
128 mB generic ram
64 mB Original ram

Ok here's the problem, someone wanted me to fix there computer, which normaly is no prob, so i asked her what was wrong with it. She says that the HD had died on her. So i had her go buy a new HD and a stick of memory to beef it up a little.

So i get the new HD in and the new memory in as well, turned her on and inserted a windows 2000 disc since we did not have the gatway recovery CD. And guess what happens, it freezes up repeatedly at the point where it is supposed to check the drives before you select a partition to install on.

So i decide to load the drive up on a different comp, and then put it in this one, and you got it, it froze up as soon as windows is supposed to start, every time. I get just to the point where the bar on the splash screen gets all the way full.

So then i tried to flash the bios, only guess what, it freezes up when the dos client starts to load.

So then i told her we probably needed a new MB. So i sent off for one and it arrived today. Same ms-6312 MB. Same freeze up problem..........

So would i be correct if i assumed it was the Procc that was bad all along??

Is there any way to find out short of buying a new one?

Or is it that I need a gateway system recovery disc for this proprietary hunk o' junk!!!

BTW, the hard drive was crashed

Any help would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:50 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

have you tried it without the new stick of ram?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:51 pm 

Yes i have tried it with the new with the old and with both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:06 pm 

So i decicded to play around in the bios and guess what happens,

I get this message before windows 2000 tries to boot:

Windows NT has found only 447k of low memory. 512k of low memory is required to run Windows Nt. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer.

Now what the hell does that mean.......?

Does it mean that because this is a proprietary MB that gateway has somehow limited this board to only run windows Me, 98, 95, and therefore not NT, XP, 2000???????????

Or is it a message about my processor failing..'er...somethin'..??
Has anyone ever heard of this before???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

capone420247 wrote:
So i decicded to play around in the bios and guess what happens,

I get this message before windows 2000 tries to boot:

Windows NT has found only 447k of low memory. 512k of low memory is required to run Windows Nt. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer.

Now what the hell does that mean.......?

Does it mean that because this is a proprietary MB that gateway has somehow limited this board to only run windows Me, 98, 95, and therefore not NT, XP, 2000???????????

Or is it a message about my processor failing..'er...somethin'..??
Has anyone ever heard of this before???

Now I have a question. This is all happening after you go all through the Windows setup from the CD? Are you booting to the CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:53 am 

OK!!! same exact freaking thing happend to me. except i was running XP Pro and that i had a bad kernel. so when i was trying ot reinstall XP it would do the same, freez while installing, freez while in bios, freez before post! so i went to get a new mobo. when the same thing happend to me i didnt know what to do. i went to work(i work at best buy) and asked my manager what to do and he said get all new ram, so i did and that was my problem the whole time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:37 am 

First,

No i had a drive with windows 2000 preloaded, because it freezes up when i try to install during a boot from cd. Now i have it installed from a different comp and it freezes up when the loading windows 2000 screen comes up where the white line goes across the bottom of the screen.

But the error message i showed only happened when i enabled the show system messages before startup in the bios

second,

I have tried new memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:20 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You can't load windows in one machine, then install it in another machine, the motherboard drivers are different for each chipset. You might try to do a "repair" with the win 2000 cd on the transplanted hard drive, then try to boot into windows. That should work.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:15 pm 

actually i have done this before and the MB drivers load automatically

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:19 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I don't see how they can load automatically when it is the registry that is read to build windows, you need to do a "repair" to get the proper drivers to load.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:19 pm 

i meant the basic pnp drivers which may not offer full functionality but they will still work or how do you think you can slide that MB driver cd in while logged into windows before youve ever loaded them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:23 pm 

also here is an update:

loaded win 98 without a problem on said system, which just leads me to think that this board just can't run the nt kernel.... does anyone out there know anything about this issue?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:29 am 
Northwood
Northwood

capone420247 wrote:
also here is an update:

loaded win 98 without a problem on said system, which just leads me to think that this board just can't run the nt kernel.... does anyone out there know anything about this issue?????

I guessing it is a problem with ACPI

have you tried updating the BIOS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:36 am 

OK so i feel like an idiot, i went back and tried the other stick of ram(new stick) and it would freeze up when windows started to load, so i guess it was the memory after all, then with the old stick i loaded up win xp and it works fine if a little slow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:45 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

capone420247 wrote:
OK so i feel like an idiot, i went back and tried the other stick of ram(new stick) and it would freeze up when windows started to load, so i guess it was the memory after all, then with the old stick i loaded up win xp and it works fine if a little slow....

good to hear you got it working :)

the memory chips on the new stick of ram are too dense for that motherboard...see if you can bring the one you have back and trade it for a lower density one