Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cannot Connect?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:51 pm 

I think this started happening about a week ago. I have did a virus scan and everything even adaware. Now I don't believe i have messed up anything on my system, although my Instant Messengers cannot connect. I also have the program skype which i had for a year, it's working fine too until up until last week when I cannot have it connect. Now I have tried using AIM, Trillian, Skype even windows messenger and msn messenger and they don't connect also. My IE and Mozilla is connecting to websites fine but my Firefox isn't connecting either, up until last week.

Here's what I did, I thought it might be something in my network, I disconnected the Linksys router and connect my computer directly into my cable modem to narrow down the problem. So it turns out to be just my computer. I have ran any updates even microsoft updates and anything I can think of. Nothing worked.

I am running Windows XP home SP1 with AntiVir Guard and Zone alarm free version. The activities I've been performing on my computer are playing with Final Fantasy XI and listening to online radios via winamp.

So guys think you can help me with this problem? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:43 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hmmmm...............try performing a system restore and see if you get your programs up and running. try uninstalling them and installing them again. if you dont have this program, try downloading AVG anti-virus and install it onto your computer. then run the program and see if avg detects any viruses.

you can dowload avg at www.grisoft.com good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:43 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you look in the eventlog? Start>control panel>Admin>Event viewer, look for entries in the three logs for problems, if you find any doubleclick on the entrie to find out what the problem is.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Have you turned off Zone just to make sure this isn't an issue with your firewall??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:20 pm 

Man that's alot of errors in the application log. :? Yes I have tried turning off zone alarm and I tried system restore and it's not working. And I also went to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to scan my pc and there's nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ok.

Just to make sure, you still could not connect when you connected straight to the modem?

You need to figure out what changed around the time you started having connectivity problems.

Did you install any programs? Change any network settings? Any settings dealing with IE or your IMs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:58 am 

Yes I could NOT connect even if I'm directly connected to the modem. Also I don't recall modifying any system settings or network settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:22 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Disabled (completey shut them down) any software firewalls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:27 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

AkaiRyu wrote:
Man that's alot of errors in the application log. :? Yes I have tried turning off zone alarm and I tried system restore and it's not working. And I also went to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to scan my pc and there's nothing.

This is a long shot - but you are using ZoneAlarm trial or free version? There are 2. The trial version has given me problems in the past. Did you ever have it installed? Say a month or two ago?

Just cuz its quick - I would uninstall ZA and reinstall it.

and BTW - uninstalling the trial version did not reopen my connections until I reinatalled the free version.

Also - have you changed ANY services? Tell us - even if you think they are not related.

Give some examples of whats in you event log (especially if there are trueVector errors

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:12 pm 

Wow. Well I have the free version, and also, I just did an update and suddenly everything is working. 0_o That's REALLY strange. Thanks guys for the effort I guess I found out the general reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:29 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

many many years ago, I had this kind of problem with windows 98. the solution was to re-install the TCP/IP driver.

just right click on your my network places and go to properties, remove the TCP/IP protocol... it will probably ask you to reboot the machine. if not, reboot it anyways. then go back there and re-install TCP/IP, and hopefully it will solve the problem