Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Interesting Onboard-Sound Glitch on Asus Mobo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:47 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

My problem isn't really one that I would consider a serious one for the time being, but it can be annoying at times...

My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X and is brand new with my system since mid-January and comes with the Realtek ALC650 onboard 6-channel onboard sound. Approximately 3 or 4 months ago I noticed that my once perfect sound quality had degraded slightly in a way I've never heard of before. It seems that instead of being 6-channel capable it's now only 1 channel capable.

In my best efforts to explain the problem, all sounds will play normally and quite fine-sounding as long as they are played one at a time. However if any other sound is played overtop the resulting combination will be quite distorted and sound like it's being played in slow motion. Once all sounds stop, the problem is solved until two or more sounds are played at the same time again.

I have always used the latest nForce drivers, ofcourse, yet this has never fixed the problem as it suddenly showed up one day and has neither improved or gotten worse.

From what little research I have been able to do and find using Google this seems to be a somewhat common problem with Asus boards featuring the Realtek audio chip but I can't find any useful information as to what is causing it or if it can be fixed. My only worry is that one day my sound might cut out all together.

If I had the spare cash I'd just buy a Soundblaster 5.1 and forget about the onboard, but I don't have the cash and is why I worry about the sound stopping completely.

If anyone can shed any light or offer any advice I'd be most appreciative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Try removing all the sound card drivers from device manager and then reboot. They should come back. If not, reinstall from either ASUS's web site or from the CD. This should fix your problem.

My guess is a simple corruption of drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:12 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Flipper wrote:
Try removing all the sound card drivers from device manager and then reboot. They should come back. If not, reinstall from either ASUS's web site or from the CD. This should fix your problem.

It isn't a sound card but an onboard sound chip on my motherboard. And I very much doubt it is anything software related - atleast when it comes to drivers - because this problem even carried over after I did a fresh install of Windows XP about a month ago when I got a new hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:22 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

X_ArchAngel wrote:
Flipper wrote:

It isn't a sound card but an onboard sound chip on my motherboard. And I very much doubt it is anything software related - atleast when it comes to drivers - because this problem even carried over after I did a fresh install of Windows XP about a month ago when I got a new hard drive.

By fresh install you mean you put in a new master drive and formatted it etc...? I will assume so.

Does ASUS have anything to say on the subject?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:34 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Yes, I had put in a new master drive (went from WD 40GB to WD 120GB) and formatted, fresh install, drivers, etc.

I've looked through Asus and they seem to have nothing to say about the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

have you checked to make sure it wasnt a short in the wire to your speakers? Have you tried using headphones or another set of speakers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:43 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you take a close look at the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard? If they are bulged or split they are dead, the reason I ask is, this happened to a comp at work.

Nasty