Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opening multiple files opens multiple programs...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok, here's my stupid problem. Before I reformatted my computer, if I highlighted, say, 10 jpegs and opened them, they would all open in one instance of Paintshop. But now, when I do the same thing, it opens up 10 seperate instances of PaintShop! Does anyone know where I can change this setting? I've got TweakUI on here, but it didn't look like there was anything to change it in there.
Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. just in case it makes a difference, after the reformat (XP home) I installed every single Windows update, including SP2. The hardware specs probably don't matter, but let me know if you need them.

Post subject: Re: Opening multiple files opens multiple programs...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:11 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

could this be an option set in PaintShop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I checked through all of the preferences in Paintshop (and I've been using it for awhile, so I know where and what the options are), and the problem isn't limited to that program. Any files I try this with opens up in whatever program that they're associated with with the same results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:08 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

RallyMK1 wrote:
I checked through all of the preferences in Paintshop (and I've been using it for awhile, so I know where and what the options are), and the problem isn't limited to that program. Any files I try this with opens up in whatever program that they're associated with with the same results.

i'll be waiting for a solution to this with you. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It sounds silly, I know, but could your mouse button or keyboard be sticking at some point, causing the system to read a click or keypress as multiple?
I don't mean the settings IN the os (but check them too) I mean a dirty keyboard or mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:15 am 
Northwood
Northwood

that kind of remind me. maybe the CTRL key or ALT key might be stuck? not necessarily physically, but maybe electronically.

i've seen cases where everything would act as if the CTRL key is being held. pressing it multiple times usually put it back to normal.

well, i tested opening MP3 files with CTRL, ALT, or the shift key being held, and it still doesn't open multiple instances of WinAmp to play them. so i dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

No, the keyboard and the mouse are fine, as they were the same ones I was using before I reformatted. Holding down CTRL while opening the files does the exact same thing... it opens up 11 PaintShops. Until I figure it out I'll just be opening them from within PaintShop. Maybe I'll just have to change my routine.... damn computers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:30 am 
Northwood
Northwood

RallyMK1 wrote:
No, the keyboard and the mouse are fine, as they were the same ones I was using before I reformatted. Holding down CTRL while opening the files does the exact same thing... it opens up 11 PaintShops. Until I figure it out I'll just be opening them from within PaintShop. Maybe I'll just have to change my routine.... damn computers!

it's only this one program doing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I know there is an option in windows somewhere, i will find out where, that allows you to open thing in a separate window or just stack them with in the program you are usingor i think it may just overwrite the window. I will have to get back to on this but i know it is in windows somewhere. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:34 am 

Wiked_smart wrote:
I know there is an option in windows somewhere, i will find out where, that allows you to open thing in a separate window or just stack them with in the program you are usingor i think it may just overwrite the window. I will have to get back to on this but i know it is in windows somewhere. 8)

I think you're talking about explorer windows. I'm not sure that it will help in this situation. Of course I could be wrong... it happened once before..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:50 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Eluj wrote:
Wiked_smart wrote:

I think you're talking about explorer windows. I'm not sure that it will help in this situation. Of course I could be wrong... it happened once before..

No, There is an option someplace. I am having the same problem with word. Haven't found a solution yet. But I haven't been looking very hard either.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In response to one of the questions above, the problem isn't just with one program (PaintShop), but it's the only one that matters at the moment. It's a work thing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Does anybody know the answer to this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:38 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

RallyMK1 wrote:
Does anybody know the answer to this problem?

Rally i am looking but its not a full search i have probably done a 50% search so far i will keep looking don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nevermind! My friend at work just figured it out. In explorer, go to tools, and then Folder Options, then click on the file types tab.
On mine, JPEG was set to Windows picture and fax viewer, and JPG was correctly set to PaintShop Pro. Switching JPG over fixed everything, and now I can just highlight the files I want, hit enter, and they all open up in PaintShop.
Thanks for the help you guys came up with, and I hope someone can use the solution I found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:03 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

RallyMK1 wrote:
Nevermind! My friend at work just figured it out. In explorer, go to tools, and then Folder Options, then click on the file types tab.
On mine, JPEG was set to Windows picture and fax viewer, and JPG was correctly set to PaintShop Pro. Switching JPG over fixed everything, and now I can just highlight the files I want, hit enter, and they all open up in PaintShop.
Thanks for the help you guys came up with, and I hope someone can use the solution I found.

i thought other programs had the same problem.