Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PLEASE HELP...NEED TO LOCATE SYSTEM CLOCK
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I set the mater password on my friend's HP Pavillion N5350 notebook and the power went out in the process. Now, it asks for the password but won't recognize anything I type. I know a way to reset that password is to remove the system battery for 10 second.

PROBLEM: I OPEN THAT LAPTOP AS MUCH AS I COULD AND SEE NO SYSTEM BATTERY. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS LOCATED?????

PLEASE HELP. HER EXAM IS DUE IN 2 DAYS AWAY AND ALL THE WORK IS ON THAT THING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I hope this helps.....i almost lost schoolwork at a bad time too once :) Just register at those forums and ask someone there or possibly somone else here knows how to help you.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/foru ... 3+28353475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:59 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

To my knowledge, the only system battery in a laptop is just that, the battery, you know that big brick ;) Yank it, turn on the laptop and keep it running till any stored juice is expended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:35 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i dissect that thing to pieces and still no battery. i called the not-so-friendly-because-product-is-longer-under-warranty customer support and they suggest i send it in along with 250 check for the work. hp.com is probably the worst help site out there.

another friend of mine got almost the same model as this one, he'll look up stuffs and help me.

NOTE TO SELF: NEVER BUY A HP LAPTOP OR EVEN A HP COMP. i never used that tech support that came with the thing, so i figure they should help me at least 20 times over the phone no matter long old the thing is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:38 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If your friend really needs to use the comp that bad, why not just pull out the harddrive and copy the files. Then fix the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

it's a laptop hard-drive, I wouldn't know how to pull the data.

Anyway, I think I just killed the laptop. I found the battery but it is super glued to the metal wires, which are, in turn, stitched to the motherboard. I broke one of the 2 wires from just adjusting the battery.

NOTE TO SELF: DON"T BUY HP LAPTOP BECAUSE IT IS NOT USER-FRIENDLY. IT FALLS UNDER THROW-AWAY-AFTER-2-YEARS COMPUTERS CATEGORY.

I do appreciate the help from everyone. Gracias.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:59 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, just swap the harddrive to another notebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:33 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

dargon wrote:
To my knowledge, the only system battery in a laptop is just that, the battery, you know that big brick ;) Yank it, turn on the laptop and keep it running till any stored juice is expended.

All laptops have their own dedicated clock batteries, otherwise everytime someone changed their battery, they'd lose their Date/Time, CMOS settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:45 pm 

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm may help anyone else with this problem. Most bios manufacturers put in backdoor passwords that will work even if you have set a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I wouldn't call HP's junk or not user-friendly based on human error either. The poor thing didn't change the password or break the battery connection by itself. But I do understand that tech support blows. I think they have too much Compaq in their blood since the merger.

A manual would have been nice as well. I would have hoped for a jumper, as every HP desktop I've dug in had one, but not sure on laptops.

But, $250 doesn't sound bad now that the laptop is entirely inoperable now;) Now how to solder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Chumly wrote:
A manual would have been nice as well. I would have hoped for a jumper, as every HP desktop I've dug in had one, but not sure on laptops.

I seem to recall HP laptops had that...although not a jumper, but rather a reset switch that you had to push with something like a paperclip or a mechanical pencil.

I want to say if it'll be anywhere, it'll be on the backside somewhere close to the battery (the one that runs the laptop) if not underneath when you take that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

My little Dell had a hole through the bottom. Think it simply says "reset". I'll have to check it out. Not that every laptop has it, but manuals sometimes help ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Dunno if it's too late but...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_gen. ... e=googlecp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The thing I hate about this laptop is that I can't find the battery any where. The part that I thought was the battery may not be the battery, but then if it is the battery I don't know where "the battery" is located. I opened it up 85% with extreme care. There must have been hundreds of screws which I still question who approved this hardware setup.

Is there a way to stitch a piece of metal (very tiny) back together. I was thinking about taping a small paper clip so that the current will flow from each broken end to the other. There is a power reset switch, but it won't reset the password. I have Linux rescue CD that will reset Wins admin password (Windows is a joke on security) but this system password is tough.

Any suggestion is appreciate. And what took you guys so long to reply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hey flytrap,

if only this hp has that easy of a setup. life would be much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:18 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Juan Mendez wrote:
And what took you guys so long to reply?

Are you fucking kidding me? Do you think we get paid for this?