Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

One4yu2c wrote:

Doesn't look like FIC has an online manual for that mobo :?

In any event, remove everything else and concentrate on getting the Power switch plugged into the correct spot. If it's not, you can't turn your system on.

thanks so much for your time. I am really really worried that I have fried the mobo. My repair friend is going to check it out. If it's fried or defective, then I can get another one and try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:21 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

It's always handy to have a local PC guru...let us know what he finds out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

One4yu2c wrote:
It's always handy to have a local PC guru...let us know what he finds out :)

i shall do so !

Post subject: Another Newbie Installer Query
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:38 am 
Klamath
Klamath

newbiesteve wrote:
Brvhrt wrote:
particulars on the mobo, proc and mem, please.....

Ken_Campbell

Fold Until A Cure

FIC K8-800T motherboard for 64 bit, AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor, PNY 512 MB PC3200 DDR400.

OK, one more question: When you install a mobo, do you have to pull out all the metal standoffs that do not have a corresponding hole in the motherboard ? I believe that my case has standoffs that don't have corresponding holes in the FIC K8-800T motherboard. Thanks again for your patience and your time.
Steve in Mickey land

Post subject: Re: Another Newbie Installer Query
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:27 am 
Northwood
Northwood

newbiesteve wrote:
OK, one more question: When you install a mobo, do you have to pull out all the metal standoffs that do not have a corresponding hole in the motherboard ? I believe that my case has standoffs that don't have corresponding holes in the FIC K8-800T motherboard. Thanks again for your patience and your time.
Steve in Mickey land

i would pull them off if they match a hole on the mobo. as you can see on the mobo, every hole has a little metallic round plate on both ends. i don't think you want a metal standoff touching the PCB directly.

i have standoffs that aren't screwed in, but they all match a hole on the mobo.

Post subject: Re: Another Newbie Installer Query
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:51 am 
Klamath
Klamath

cigar3tte wrote:
newbiesteve wrote:
Steve in Mickey land

i would pull them off if they match a hole on the mobo. as you can see on the mobo, every hole has a little metallic round plate on both ends. i don't think you want a metal standoff touching the PCB directly.

i have standoffs that aren't screwed in, but they all match a hole on the mobo.

thanks ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:40 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

One other thing, I read through my Abit IC7-G MaxII manuel and actually it asks you not to use a metal stand off unless you have to that way you can electricaly isolate your board. The plastice standoffs don't conduct that way you have no shorts or possible shorts. Your board is grounded through your power suply any way just like everything else. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

When you install the motherboard the standoffs are either going to be small metal things that screw into the bottom of the case or plastic that attatch to the bottom of the motherboard. (don't use the plastic) Reason not to use plastic is they are cheap and don't hold too well. As for the other comment on not to use metal...its fine because most motherboards have built in washer like rings around the location of where the standoffse screw into. If they don't its recomended you use some. 99% of the boards today are safe.

You need to make sure that you (if using the metal standoffs) there is one standoff for each hole no more no less. Well you can use less but not adviseable. You'll know which ones to place them in by the round metal circles on to base of the motherboard.

If you use too many standoffs and any part of the MOBO is touching the brackets, you are then grounding yourself. Which would result in one of two things: A) The board will not boot or B) you could have shorted it out.

NOW ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER:

It is possible that the standoffs are on correct but the POWER CONNECTOR is not on correct that could be your problem. If the power connector is not in the correct location or on backwards the system will not do anything either. I would check that first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Flipper wrote:
When you install the motherboard the standoffs are either going to be small metal things that screw into the bottom of the case or plastic that attatch to the bottom of the motherboard. (don't use the plastic) Reason not to use plastic is they are cheap and don't hold too well. As for the other comment on not to use metal...its fine because most motherboards have built in washer like rings around the location of where the standoffse screw into. If they don't its recomended you use some. 99% of the boards today are safe.

You need to make sure that you (if using the metal standoffs) there is one standoff for each hole no more no less. Well you can use less but not adviseable. You'll know which ones to place them in by the round metal circles on to base of the motherboard.

If you use too many standoffs and any part of the MOBO is touching the brackets, you are then grounding yourself. Which would result in one of two things: A) The board will not boot or B) you could have shorted it out.

NOW ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER:

It is possible that the standoffs are on correct but the POWER CONNECTOR is not on correct that could be your problem. If the power connector is not in the correct location or on backwards the system will not do anything either. I would check that first.

Thanks for your input. I solved the "no power" problem by, I think, making sure the power connector was installed right. So now I am getting the fans to run but the BIOS will not beep. So, I think my next step is to check out how well the processor and heatsink are installed, I think. The never ending saga of the motherboard lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Well at least you are getting some place. The non-beeping bios is 99% prob from the speaker not on correct That too has to be on right. As long as you are getting the fans spinning you know you did not kill the board totally.

From here what I would do is the following:

1) Take out all sound cards, firewire, USB etc...(extra cards not needed to boot a PC)

2) Remove all memory stickes except 1

3) You can keep your Optical drives in the machine but take the cables off and just have your HDD as the only device on any of the IDE channels.

4) Make sure your video card is in the machine well. (DON'T FORCE ANYTHNG)

Start up the machine

If you are not getting any video then try another stick of RAM in a different slot. If still no sound then you still don't have the speakers on correct.

If after a 2nd try of no video and you made 100% that the RAM and video card is secure, take the processor off and make sure it is making good contact. Avoid this if you can as the dye is not really dry yet.

Thermal Greese...use very little and spread evenly. No one likes to see pockets or air. If you need more help e-mail me your number and I'll give ya a shout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:36 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Flipper wrote:
Well at least you are getting some place. The non-beeping bios is 99% prob from the speaker not on correct That too has to be on right. As long as you are getting the fans spinning you know you did not kill the board totally.

From here what I would do is the following:

1) Take out all sound cards, firewire, USB etc...(extra cards not needed to boot a PC)

2) Remove all memory stickes except 1

3) You can keep your Optical drives in the machine but take the cables off and just have your HDD as the only device on any of the IDE channels.

4) Make sure your video card is in the machine well. (DON'T FORCE ANYTHNG)

Start up the machine

If you are not getting any video then try another stick of RAM in a different slot. If still no sound then you still don't have the speakers on correct.

If after a 2nd try of no video and you made 100% that the RAM and video card is secure, take the processor off and make sure it is making good contact. Avoid this if you can as the dye is not really dry yet.

Thermal Greese...use very little and spread evenly. No one likes to see pockets or air. If you need more help e-mail me your number and I'll give ya a shout.

Thanks for your offer Flipper. I accidentally bent the AMD processor pins when I forced the lever down on the processor socket. Geeze, another expensive computer lesson but one I will never forget. Oh well, I'm building another one soon with an AMD 64 processor and a GOOD Asus Socket 754 board.