Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Simple - Not easy!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:24 pm 

I just purchased Doom 3 and upgraded my graphics card from a Geforce 4 Ti4600 to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro – 128MB RAM.

I have an Asus P4SDX motherboard - 2.53 P4 with 1Gig Ram.

SMARTGART was not allowing AGP acceleration. Read an article that I had to upgrade to latest graphics and AGP drivers. I have the latest ATI drivers.

I went to SIS and Asus and found the latest SIS655 AGP drivers. I installed them and all went smooth.

I was then able to set AGP to 8x. All happy right? No! After about 3 minutes playing Doom 3 all hell broke loose. System froze! Messages came up! Generally bad things!

Had to go back in to the system through safe mode and uninstall the new drivers to regain system stability.

I flashed the BIOS so that is up to date.

What do I do now? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:04 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

well, did you ever uninstall the nvidia drivers? ati and nvidia drivers are not know to play well with each other, otherwise try to run doom3 again and see if it happens again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:27 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

if you have the time i suggest just re-install windows. backup all data and install windows again. sometimes if you cant get stuff fix you need to reformat and see if it works. good system you got there still. if you didnt uninstall the nvidia drivers, then that could be the problem. good luck

Post subject: Re: Simple - Not easy!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:21 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

strue wrote:
I just purchased Doom 3 and upgraded my graphics card from a Geforce 4 Ti4600 to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro – 128MB RAM.

I have an Asus P4SDX motherboard - 2.53 P4 with 1Gig Ram.

SMARTGART was not allowing AGP acceleration. Read an article that I had to upgrade to latest graphics and AGP drivers. I have the latest ATI drivers.

I went to SIS and Asus and found the latest SIS655 AGP drivers. I installed them and all went smooth.

I was then able to set AGP to 8x. All happy right? No! After about 3 minutes playing Doom 3 all hell broke loose. System froze! Messages came up! Generally bad things!

Had to go back in to the system through safe mode and uninstall the new drivers to regain system stability.

I flashed the BIOS so that is up to date.

What do I do now? :evil:

Uninstall all NVidia drivers and ATI drivers from the control panel/ add and remove applet. Download and run Drivercleaner 3.2. Notice it has to be installed while in windows and run from safemode which you can get to by repeatedly pressing F8 during boot up.

Then reinstall your ATI drivers. You may want to go to http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php?s= and check the forum threads there to determine which ATI driver works best with Doom3

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/