Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My computer crashes and display corrupts when I play games..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:00 pm 

Hi guys, I'm hoping that you can help me out with another, slightly more serious problem than my last. I've been having serious motherboard (I think) problems over the past few weeks that started with my display corrupting whenever I played games or videos. Well I thought I had it all fixed, but the corruption is back again.

Here's what happens:

When I start playing a game and it begins rendering, without just a few moments, the whole system freezes and the monitor goes totally haywire, usually displaying verticle lines of corrupted display.

Here's my comp's specs:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 with ver. 1007 BIOS (newest)
AthlonXP 2500+
2x256MB Corsair XMS PC-3200 RAM chips in Dual-Chanell config
Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST3160023AS
45GB and 80GB ULTRA ATA drives on IDE0
Plextor 16x CD-RW and Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW on IDE1

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? I'm thinking that it's my motherbaord, because even when I used a different video card, back when I first had these problems, the same corruption still happened. And I'm also having trouble with the built-in SATA controller on my mobo. I'd really appreciate any help that you guys could give!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:03 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

rma@asus.com is where you get your return number. Just send them an e-mail (to above address) detailing your problem and they will either tell you what the problem might be or give you a RMA number like I just received...my 3com nic port quit :-/

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:13 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Nastyman wrote:
rma@asus.com is where you get your return number. Just send them an e-mail (to above address) detailing your problem and they will either tell you what the problem might be or give you a RMA number like I just received...my 3com nic port quit :-/

Nasty

I would also advicse:

Do you have any task bars working? The kind that pop up when you need them? Like hiding the XP start bar.

I have three. When I play a game I have to close or unhide them all or I have the problem you speak of (similar). The game actualy minimizes during play and my screen restores to the desktop at a wrong resolution. It sounds horrible as the monitor sync and resyncs. AND, the game gets totally unstable.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:54 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

also change videocard drivers and see if that works at all. it could be a flaky mobo too.