Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recover previous version of file?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:35 am 

I know teenagers are supposed to have all the answers (at least for computer questions), but my son has a pretty serious computer problem. He was working with a program called Cooledit to put together a bunch of tracks of music, and he accidentally saved the file without some of the tracks from the previous version. He still has the individual tracks but he has no idea where they go. (Don't ask.)

Is there any way to recover the previous version of the file (same name) that was saved over? I told him not to do anything that would write to the hard drive in the meantime. Unfortunately, he had already shut down the computer.

Is there any hope here?

-- Attila

EDIT: In case it matters, he's running Win XP Home. I assume System Restore doesn't restore ordinary data files, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

... I think you're SoL due to it being a file that was physically changed, not just deleted.

Had you just deleted the file, it might've been recoverable.

This is a bump in the mean time

Post subject: Re: Recover previous version of file?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:09 pm 

I'm with ShiftyEyedGoat on this one. Unless the program itself offers an option to do this you're out of luck. System restore won't help either due to the odds of a restore point being created and the file being affected are way too high.

I think this is one of those life learning lessons. From the sounds of it he might change his mind and want a previous version. The only suggestion I would have is to save the file with incrementing file names, mix01, mix02, etc. When he has what he wants he can delete all of the excess. Another idea would be a batch file to back up the his work before he starts editing, again there would be limited protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:19 pm 

Thanks guys. I kind of thought so. I have a little program that saves previous versions, but obviously it's good only for the future.

-- Attila