Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer Freezing! Spent YEARS trying to diagnose
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 pm 

So when I was a kid I built this gaming PC based around a GA-8TRX330-L motherboard and about a year later the screen would freeze after 15-20 minutes or so of gaming/videos. Since then I've graduated college and now I'm just tinkering about with it trying to determine why it's freezing. I've completely stripped the video card down and reapplied thermal paste everywhere and I even meticulously cleaned the fan inside the little heatsink. Problem persisted. I also reapplied thermal paste to the CPU with the same result. I'm fairly sure this is an overheating problem but I have no idea where it could be coming from, any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Computer Freezing! Spent YEARS trying to diagnose
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Even if you figure out what component is causing it replacing the component with an old used part will be problematic.

Remove and replace with known working components is pretty much out.

You can remove parts you may no longer use like a modem for example.

Remove and try running with a single RAM stick. If problem free, swap RAM sticks and repeat.

You can remove the video card and run off of integrated graphics to see if the problem disappears.

You can swap in a known working PSU provided it either supports 20 pin or there is nothing on the board physically blocking the extra pins on a 24 pin connector from overhanging.

You can remove components and run externally (breadboard) to eliminate short to case. This gives an excellent opportunity to inspect and reseat parts.

Software you can try to run that is of limited rule out utility: memtest86, memtest86+ or MS Memory Diagnostic (all boot), your HDD maker's diagnostic app (preferably boot) and HWMonitor (may give clues including overheating, but can give false readings). Additionally your BIOS may have a system/health report that may be useful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Do all of what FascistNation said plus one other thing. Look for bad caps on the motherboard and video card, there were a lot of problems with electrolytic capacitors back then, they would split leak or puff up. When that happens the caps have to be replaced or the motherboard has to be replaced....in which case it would be better to build a new computer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+cap ... 60&bih=879

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 am 

Thanks for the replies! Sorry my life has been crazy lately. I'll do those things whenever I can get back home and I'll post results.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:41 pm 

Here's a crazy question- who cares? It's so ancient at this point that it's virtually worthless (except to a vintage collector). Why try to diagnose the problem with your 1977 TI scientific calculator that takes 6 seconds to give you an answer when you can smash it with a brick and get a new one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PywI0BOxJpI

^THIS is what you need to do.

Get even with that PC for giving you such a hard time. Play gangster rap while you do it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

mistersprinkles,
A lot of the time it is either the challenge of getting the machine running or the necessity because right now he may not have the money to buy a new pc....he just graduated college and is probably working his first job.

paddypilot,

Get memtest86 and make a boot disk from the ISO file. Then remove all but one stick from the motherboard, boot to the dvd and run the test for at least 10 minutes or if you have the time one full pass as it takes a long time to complete. If you see any errors just stop there and replace the ram with the other stick and run the test again. If it comes clean, run the pc on that stick until you can find a replacement for the bad stick. Most ram manufactures have a lifetime warranty on their ram. So get a RMA number from the manufacture and have them send a new stick. Test it when they send it to you!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/memtest86.html

Next go to the hard drive manufactures site and download the ISO file for making their diagnostic program to check the hard drive. It is also a bootable dvd when you are finished. This program will tell you if the hard drive is good or dieing. There are two modes, quick mode and long mode, use both if the short mode comes up clean.

Some times the PSU can cause this type of issue as well. If you can beg buy or borrow (beg and borrow are best) a psu to see if it is causing your issue.

One other thing, change the data cord/ribbon going to the hard drive, you may have a bad cord/data ribbon.

Do one change at a time to be sure what you did fixed the problem...or not.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:27 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

That is an irritating zombie. You got bit Nasty . Double hit as the OP never got back to us.