Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 am 

PC froze up two days ago, turned the pc off. Couldnt get the monitor to show a picture.
Hours later, I turn the pc back on, monitor comes back on and shows picture.

Last night, same thing happens---monitor doesn't come back on and won't come back on.
I cleaned the computer thoroughly, including the video card (removed and reseated), reconnected cables and again the pc comes on but the monitor will not.

There was no burning smell.
There was no noise coming from the computer.

Does anyone know of any troubleshooting tips?

Post subject: Re: Need Help Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Either try another cable or try the monitor on another computer with the same cable. Or try another monitor with the same cable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Unless the monitor is old it should have at least a DVI port and VGA port. If you are using the DVI port, get out a VGA cable and try the VGA port. If this works, the DVI side of the circuit board is broken. Two things you can do, keep using the VGA side of the monitor or replace the monitor.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:26 pm 

I tried the monitor on another pc we have in the house and the monitor worked. I had the fan of the psu and the processor heatsink/fan replaced. I had this done at a local shop. The tech said it bsod on him.

I got the computer home and it bsod on me too. I shut it down and tried using it a few more times but it also bsod on me a couple more times. I reseated the ram and the video card and tried restarting the computer and this time, the computer would start but no picture would come up on the screen. I made sure everything was connected properly but still same problem, no screen coming up. This is the same problem I had initially...

Is my video card just gone? I didn't experience any pixelating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'd suspect the PSU first, since if you had to replace the fan it could've heated up and aged faster than expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:24 pm 

That doesn't make sense. To me at least.

Everything powers up, computer lights up, fans spin etc.

Are you saying all that could happens but the psu be damaged somehow and not get enough juice I actually run the vid card?

Could the psu caused the bsod also?

Ps- the psu is 5 years old, antec 500w

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A failing PSU can mask hardware problems. I've had one give my hard drive the click of death, even though it actually wasn't dying. It might be fine if it's not doing much but once you start putting it under load it may start choking.

The only way really to check this without buying anything is to put the video card in a newer computer and see if the problem happens on that video card.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How about the capacitors on the motherboard? Are they swollen or leaking? See: http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5 Not usually an issue anymore, but there are still a few out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 am 

The motherboard looked fine.

I have since ordered a video card and psu. I am just going to replace things till it works and till I have a completely new pc.

The parts will arive today. Only thing I am nervous about really, what if I replace those two pieces and I still have problems??

When I talked to the tech that fixed the psu fan and the cpu fan/heatsink, he told me that he was surprised the computer booted up because I had used extra screws in the motherboard where there didn't need to be any and there were some shorts. But, hey, it's been going 6 years strong.