Post subject: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 13.2.015.000 slows program access
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

SPECS:
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 13.2.015.000
Windows 7 x64 SP1
performance desktop gaming PC

I recently installed ZoneAlarm as my internet security program [clean install]. But I notice it sometimes randomly cause extreme delays when loading programs. Even for small programs like Calculator, these delays can be around 15+ seconds--so it's extremely abnormal. I've experimented with turning off the antivirus component but it doesn't fix the problem. The only way to make the problem go away is to exit ZoneAlarm. Note again, these slow downs happen only sometimes and seems random, and indeed happens only when ZoneAlarm is running. Anyone know if there is any feature I can turn off to fix this or is this a known bug?

NOTE: I'm already using the latest version: http://sc1.checkpoint.com/sc1/za/releas ... /zaxs.html

Post subject: Re: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 13.2.015.000 slows program ac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:44 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It looks like this has been happening since 6.5. Here is a post on their forum that may have a solution to your problem:

https://www.zonealarm.com/forums/showth ... won-t-load

If you have more than one anti-virus running along with any anti-malware programs running they can interfere with ZA and cause a slowdown.

I would uninstall it and run Avast or MSE with win 7 firewall and be done with it.

I have been using MSE, windows firewall and Malwarebytes to keep my system clean and it has been up and running for three years.

I also use Ccleaner to clean out the browsers and registry....makes a difference in how the system runs, it also has a real nice uninstaller for unwanted programs. It loads a lot faster than microsofts uninstaller.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ZA is my only installed security program.

i don't want to use Microsoft Security Essentials because it's crap. it gets 0 stars for protection according to ... www.av-test.org/en/home

kaspersky is the best overall, but ZA also uses the kaspersky antivirus engine. so ZA should be decent--but it's not, it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:54 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i found the solution to the problematic slow downs! after a lot of testing, it turns out i have to turn off ZA's DefenseNet feature...

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > application control > settings > DefenseNet ... set to 'off'

DefenseNet info...
http://smartdefense.zonealarm.com/tmpl/ ... efense.jsp

DefenseNet is basically a feature that reports scanned file info to ZA to research the safety of files. it's more of a benefit to the developers than to the user, because you're assisting them to do their job.

it may not be a big deal to leave on if it had actually worked without any negative performance impact. but considering the awful slow downs it causes, it's a crappy feature that does more harm than good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:43 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

there is actually another feature that also causes the same problematic slow downs--you also have to turn off "real-time cloud protection"...

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > antivirus/anti-spyware > settings > advanced settings > premium protections ... uncheck 'enable real-time cloud protection'

that feature is also not really needed since you already get regular auto updates to virus definitions.

[tested with latest version: 13.3.052.000]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

so in summary, turn off these two features...

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > application control > settings > DefenseNet ... set to 'off'

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > antivirus/anti-spyware > settings > advanced settings > premium protections ... uncheck 'enable real-time cloud protection'

i guess what they have in common is that they require an online response from the zonealarm servers to work. but this service buggy and can randomly cause extreme delays when loading things.

---

i also recommend tweaking these other two features [although unrelated to the original problem]...

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > antivirus/anti-spyware > settings > advanced settings > premium protections ... uncheck 'enable web monitoring'
[note: else that prevents downloading from some file hosting sites]

- 'antivirus & firewall' box/tab > application control > settings > network firewall ... set to 'min'
[note: eliminates ZA's annoying popups that ask you to set programs' access permissions]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

***MY REVIEW***

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security [13.3.052.000] is poorly designed and poorly optimized. Here's why...

I had to turn off these two features because they were causing random extreme delays when loading things...

- DefenseNet
- real-time cloud protection

...I guess what they have in common is that they require an online response from the ZA servers to work. But this service buggy.

I also had to turn off the following feature because it conflicts with downloading from some file hosting sites...

- web monitoring

A good security program should work well straight out of the box--but ZA doesn't. Please fix these features or remove them from future versions, since they do more harm than good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

TsunamiZ wrote:
....i don't want to use Microsoft Security Essentials because it's crap. ...

You are right about that.

But don't make your AV decision based upon one AV testing source. There are several out there with free evaluation/testing reports. To me the bottom line is the testing criteria and scoring itself, the threats detected and blocked/neutralized. Second is false positives. But others want ease of use, cost, other bells&whistles. Kaspersky has a history of accuracy and reliability ... so do several others.

Thanks for your review. You are correct, unacceptable performance slowdowns, even intermittent ones form an AV app is a deal killer. I hope it uninstalled readily and completely. I hope ZoneAlarm deals with the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i recently learned to also turn off the "threat emulation" feature. it's a gimmicky cloud feature that has very limited use and would just be bothersome and slow.

Code:
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/products/threat-emulation.htm

Last edited by TsunamiZ on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

FascistNation wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:
....i don't want to use Microsoft Security Essentials because it's crap. ...

You are right about that.

You're just talking about their antivirus, right? Is the firewall ok?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i don't use Microsoft Security Essentials, but i would guess their firewall is ok. since a firewall doesn't require constant definitions updates to work effectively.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

phillyj wrote:
....You're just talking about their antivirus, right? Is the firewall ok?

MSE doesn't have a firewall. Microsoft Firewall is included in every Windows OS since XP SP2. Vista onward tested outbound as well as inbound. I use them rather than 3rd party...though I now advocate Comodo Firewall (free) on clean installed 32-bit XP systems post-MS support.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i guess i should mention that the older "ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 11.x" was very good performance and i was very happy with it. but then it expired and they forced me to upgrade to 13.x. 13.x is rather disappointing. hopefully their future versions will be better.