Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Monitor scrambling at lower temperatures
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:47 am 

This is a weird issue, but I have a monitor that "survived" my house being struck by lightning a year or so back that can no longer display a picture at low temperatures. When it's been powered off for a while or if it's cooled by a fan or something else, the picture it displays when on will be static-like with a black line down the middle and the monitor will make a high pitched static-like noise. While warm, which includes having been on for a while, the picture will show, although sometimes the monitor has to be turned off and on to get it to display something properly. If the monitor cools down while on and showing a picture, when it gets to the point that it stops working it'll begin to scramble from the top down over the course of a couple seconds and make the aforementioned noise.

Does anyone know enough about these things to tell me if it's salvageable?

Post subject: Re: Monitor scrambling at lower temperatures
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:07 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

.....now is the time to buy the monitor of your dreams! :shock:

If you want to crack it open and look for fried components, now is the time. Most likely the power supply took the most damage. Look for bad caps and replace them if you have the skills to do it. Hopefully it is just a few caps that took the shock and not some circuit chips.

Bad caps:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+cap ... 60&bih=879

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 am 

Since I failed to do so before, here's a terrible quality picture

Oddly, it has a better time displaying less busy images, like the ASUS screen or an input with no signal that just shows the input name in the corner. Flickers, but doesn't quite do so much. By the way, is there a place I can send this? If I can manage to avoid spending another $300 by having someone with experience repair it, that's my best bet. As things stand, I can't see myself not using the monitor if I can still use it, and I still can. In fact, I am right now.

Is there any particular reason why the capacitors would have anything to do with the need for heat?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:51 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Cheez wrote:
....it has a better time displaying less busy images, like the ASUS screen or an input with no signal that just shows the input name in the corner. ...

1. I assume this monitor is NOT attached to the same system that was hit by lightening? Because the symptoms of displaying the BIOS screens sure sound like chipset/CPU/GPU video signal problem to me more than monitor.

Have you tried the monitor on more than one system? Of another monitor? Or another cable? Or if present another port? If you unplug the video cable from the powered up PC and monitor what does the monitor display?

2. Once warmed up the monitor works. I would surmise a cold short that when warms expands and makes contact restoring function.

3. I assume the warranty period is up? ...though if you let on the failure is due to lightening it is. Better start saving your shekels because you can bet whatever the problem is it will likely fail for good soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 am 

Well, I said better, not perfect. It would still flip around but you could actually sort of see the image instead of getting a mess of various colored pixels. Anyway, I guess I should trust that the monitor is a lost cause... Which is terrible, because there are so few 1920x1200 or better monitors anymore, and those that do exist are needlessly expensive compared to this one.