Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop Freezes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am 

Hello,
I have an old Dell Studio 1537 laptop. The OS is Windows Vista. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550. It functions but not well. I am planning on replacing it either later this year or early 2015. Recently, the battery went out. I keep my laptop plugged up to my surge protector and I've had little issues with it until now. Now,every single time I start The Sims 3 to play the game, the game locks up. It was slow before but now it is completely locking. I've experimented with different mod configurations but its not working. It is always freezing at the same "Sim Time" and does not freeze while creating a new game/sim or while the game is paused. I know its an old computer and this may be a processing or graphics issue but at the same time, the game was running fine even with mods but it was slow before the battery went out.The laptop doesn't seem to be locking just the game. So that being said, is it possible that the faulty battery is causing the freezing on my game?
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Laptop Freezes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Yes. What does it do when the battery is removed and you run on AC?

The other things I would do would be to bootup and run memtest86 or memtest86+ to test the RAM.

And download the HDD dx test app from the HDD maker's support page and test the HDD.

I would also run Dell's Advanced Complete Dx online app. Takes 30 min and while it tests memory and harddrive not as completely as the above apps will.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:58 pm 

Removing the battery seems to have helped but not a lot. I will run the memory test ASAP. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Dumb question, but did you make sure the laptop is also clean of dust bunnies and all that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette

This is a simple fix. If the laptop is freezing, get is a blanket or place it in the sun to warm it up. Ok, now that you are done laughing, test the RAM and hard drive to make sure either are not having issues. Check the drive for bad sectors. You can get a trial version of hard drive regenerator to check for back sectors. Dell should have a HDD diagnostic built in if you don't want to use a 3rd party.

Also check it for malware or you want to consider backing up and starting fresh if you have not done this in a while. Clean out any dust as someone else pointed out. It does not have to be very dirty in the vents to cause an issue.