Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Desktop left on for a night
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:00 am 

I left a computer running an ECS K7s5a motherboard on overnight. It was a new build so I was letting it run. Well when it didn't come out of standby I had to power off the machine with the button. I did it and now the stupid thing won't post. I tried two other boards and I'm having the same results so what to change drives or power supply??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:17 am 

If you have a multi meter you should try and see how much power is going through the PSU. If the voltages are correct then its not your PSU. Be careful when trying this don't kill your self. Also since its a soft power switch your going to need to consult the manual to see which parts have to touch inorder to turn on the PSU. Or you could replace the PSU and assume it just bad. But that would cost money and wouldn't be as cool in my opinion

Post subject: Re: Desktop left on for a night
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JeremyWatts1 wrote:
I left a computer running an ECS K7s5a motherboard on overnight. It was a new build so I was letting it run. Well when it didn't come out of standby I had to power off the machine with the button. I did it and now the stupid thing won't post. I tried two other boards and I'm having the same results so what to change drives or power supply??

Start with the PSU. DO you have another to try?

When you tried the other MB's, did you try them stripped. Like no drives, just memory and cpu and vid card (and the speaker so you can hear beeps).

That would narrow it down if it isn't the PSU.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:03 am 

Tried new PSU and tried the pc stripped. I just got it to boot but after awhile it goes black and never comes on again. Tried turning off all power managment software still does the same thing. Tried new supply and same deal. Supply is 550 watt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

test the ram now. try booting up with one ram at time and see if its a flaky ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:44 am 

Try booting without the CPU also, see if you at lease get a post error. Also, does it beep, and if so in what sequence? Your mobo manual should translate the beep sequence into a specific error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:23 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JeremyWatts1 wrote:
Tried new PSU and tried the pc stripped. I just got it to boot but after awhile it goes black and never comes on again. Tried turning off all power managment software still does the same thing. Tried new supply and same deal. Supply is 550 watt

Try what was said above - but consider you may have a heat issue. The CPU and HSF are well seated right? You used thermal compound?

When it goes "black" you are sure it is the whole shabang and not simply the vid card taking a dump (possibly due to heat)?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:24 am 

Got it the single stick of ram was flaky go figure. It would boot and sometimes run for days then just die. No reason for it till today when it never came back on'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:48 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JeremyWatts1 wrote:
Got it the single stick of ram was flaky go figure. It would boot and sometimes run for days then just die. No reason for it till today when it never came back on'

Well, At least you got it figured out.

Manta