Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Camtasia Studio? Is this legitimate and has anyone used it?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

What are people's thoughts on Camtasia studio? Is it a legitimate product and is the company legitimate?

I was looking at a CNET review of the program (got a 4/5 stars), but I'm always concerned with security and just want to make sure this program is for real. I would think at $300 it would be, but you never know. I'm really against the freebie screen capture programs for this reason. Any ideas or opinions on this product? I have to do some screen/video capturing for instruction and need an app that can do that... (this was recommended to me by someone but I Haven't really looked into the products on the market in this area except this one).

Post subject: Re: Camtasia Studio? Is this legitimate and has anyone used
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:46 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

My publisher has used it for years to make web site demo videos. Swears by it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:25 am 
Willamette
Willamette

OK. That's a bit reassuring. I'm sure it's a legit company and product (was looking through their corporate profile), but as with anything that can record the screen, or take video/audio, I'm a bit skeptical in that area of software products (for security reasons of course). I will say that CAmtasia is by far the easiest and most powerful I've seen thus far (I tend to stay away from the free ones for my security concerns, although there may be some good free ones out there, I'm just not at that trust level yet with the freebies).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let me just throw this out there in your paranoia fire: how do you know paid ones are free of security issues? Linux is free and is at the moment, inherently more secure than Windows, which you pay for.

I'd look into other screencasting software as well just to add some more choices onto the table.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:50 am 
Willamette
Willamette

You do have a good point, though (I haven't purchased anything yet and probably won't for another week or two, but need to find something within the next 30 days). I will look at some of the free ones. I guess I could also just do the recording on another computer (that has no personal information or anything else on it just to be sure). I was going to do these records on my main computer, but I think I'll do it on a "clean" fresh installed box instead, that way if there is anything shady that gets on there, there's really nothing to lose other than time in restoring the computer. My needs are to create basic computing videos, so everything I'm recording is non-complex stuff, more like recording how to do stuff in Windows, etc.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions (including free ones)? I mean, if I can find a reputable free program to use, then I'll consider it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Better yet, just run the thing in a VM. Or Sandboxie (if you can figure out how to get the captured file out of the sandbox)