Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8.1 will not shut off completly please help!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 pm 

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 on my Gateway DX4850. It previously had Windows 7, but after using Windows 8 on my tablet, I thought it would be nice to get some of the free games from the store on my desktop.

So after getting things installed, everything seemed to be okay until I went to shut down the PC. I had left it on for a bout a week or so because I also have Media Center installed, using my PC as a DVR for over the air channels.

When I turned it off, I noticed that the power LED light stayed on, as well as the fans for the CPU and power supply. The display signal shuts off however. A day later, after playing around with different ideas from a Google search, I also discovered that the PC doesn't go to sleep correctly. I can put it to sleep, and the power LED doesn't blink like it did previously with Windows 7 when it was in sleep mode. When I try to wake the PC, nothing happens. I have to hold down the power button, and then it looks like it shuts off, then upon pressing the power button again it comes out of sleep.

I've updated all my Intel drives through their automatic driver updater on the website - my graphics driver as well as my Ethernet card. I do have a wifi card, but I don't know the manufacturer. I've tried installing all the default drivers from my Gateway recovery DVD. That didn't help, then I tried to update those drivers. I tried a free program that searched for drivers, and that didn't help either. I've tried turning on and off the new quick boot feather in Windows 8. I have not made any changes to my BIOS, and wouldn't think that I would need to.

There has to be some driver that I'm missing or something. I feel like I had this same problem when my PC crashed when it had Windows 7 on it and I had to do a fresh install, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Also I did a clean install on a brand new SSD drive.

Does any one have any thoughts or ideas I could try? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 will not shut off completly please help!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Try issuing a shutdown -s from the command line.

I had something similar where selecting "Shut Down" from the power menu didn't actually shut down the computer. And I think it was a driver issue because it happened when I updated my drivers... But then again it solved itself once I reinstalled Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 pm 

that didn't work. good suggestion though. It has to be a driver issue, but I don't know which one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Probably the chipset driver. Some other (painful) ideas I have in mind:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:34 pm 

hmmm I don't really want to reinstall windows. this is the second fresh install of windows 8.1 I might have left that detail out as this is the third form I've posted this issue in. and after windows finished installing before I installed anything else, (after setting up the desktop) I still had the issue. so something isn't compatible with windows 8.1.

I've tried updating my chipset drivers. Intel 6 Series/C200. It's currently on version 9.2.0.1035 dated 7/25/2013.

one search result from google I did thought maybe it could be related to the ACHI driver. Not sure how to update that one.

besides not turning off or going into/out of standby everything works fine. it's just frustrating that I can't get it to turn off without holding down the power button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:47 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

After you installed 8.1 did you go right to windows update and update the system. The nic driver may be needed to be installed before you can update. You have to go back two or three times to get fully updated. The system then needs the chipset driver, sound driver and video driver installed, windows just installs generic drivers to get things going. The system should behave properly after that.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:39 pm 

yes, after installing windows I used windows update to update everything. the only current updates I have are for the Bing bar and Bing desktop... why anyone would want to clutter up their system with search bars I don't know. I have the latest drivers from Intel for my graphics and my sound, as well as the chip set from what I can find.

Last edited by ngrimes08 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:40 pm 

Does anyone know of a reliable program that checks your drivers?? I know there are some out there, but you can't really trust them??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:35 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I've used SlimDrivers with good results. A little wonky once or twice on some old hardware and it likes to run on start-up after it's installed, so I turn that off. Outside of that though, it's always been well-behaved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I had an issue with a machine (Win7 though), that would not fall asleep, or when it would it would wake up in a matter of a few seconds. It ended up being the NIC driver and a setting i the NIC. Seems the other computers on the network for what ever reason were waking this one machine up. I clicked the "only allow magic packet" box in the NIC settings under Device Manager and presto sleep issues solved.

Just a thought, you said you were using it a DVR, it could be that those settings, or just that software itself could be keeping the machine awake, as it needs to know what time, and if there are any schedule changes for the programs you are trying to record.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

http://www.gateway.com/windows8/tutorial/ worthless on installation advice (of course).

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/ ... -downloads

Drivers typically are automatically updated by the Windows Update (or offered for update under Recommended tab). Mostly Intel chips depending upon options.

Is this one of those situations where you have to shutdown twice to get the OS to completely turn off?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If I were going to start out I would unplug any unnecessary (to operating the PC) peripheral. Then boot up inclean boot mode(much more comprehensive than the safe mode I was going to recommend) and then shut down.

This rules out peripherals and their drivers as well as other non-essential drivers and services, any apps in the startup folder as as a cause if it still shuts down abnormally. Then check BIOS update, chipset drivers, other main drivers for updates.

If a normal shutdown then start adding stuff back in chunks until you find a group that causes the issue, then narrow it down to the culprit from there.

Try the troubleshooting tools built into the OS (type troubleshooting into the run box). Reliability Monitor is unlikely to be of benefit since this problem started at installation.

I forgot: Was this a clean install of 8.1 or an upgrade from Win7?

Normally I advocate making sure the latest BIOS revision is installed before an update but the last one available was pre-Win8 and the fixes don't seem relevant to me for this situation.

[hattip to the Admin on Windows Secrets for link and idea.]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 pm 

I installed slimdrivers and all my drivers were up today. I don't know what the issue is, and as far as the DVR settings, I had the issue in Windows 8.1 before I installed the MS Media Center add on.

And yes, this was a clean install (actually second) of Windows 8.1. If you google the issue, there are several others having this same issue and no one can seem to find the fix.

Maybe Windows 8.2 will fix the issue...... until then I guess I'll just keep holding down the power button after I click shutdown. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Does "shutdown -s -f" (force shutdown) work?