Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DisplayPort "Monitor Off" Detection Issue Dual Monitor Setup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm 

I am hoping that the wise people of MPC may be able to tell me if there is a software solution to this problem (I searched the forums here but did not find this ever being address here). I will summarize the issue below, but a good thread of angst (and a description of this 4 year old issue) can be found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/8a9b5aa7-fe33-4e6d-b39b-8ac80a21fdc2/disable-monitor-off-detection-how?forum=w7itprogeneral

Summary of the Issue:
When connecting two monitors using DisplayPort (with and extended view) if the second monitor is turned off (powered off) the contents of the second monitor are pushed onto the primary display. This means that any work on the second monitor is pushed to the primary display. In addition, if both monitors are turned off, AND a remote control program is used (e.g. TeamViewer9), then the "layout" of dual monitor arrangement of the PC is entirely disabled and sent as a single desktop with a generic VGA signal. If DVI connections are used, the behavior described above does not exist. In short, under Windows 7 and 8, 8.1, the DisplayPort is treated like a USB that has been unplugged (when turned off), instead of a device linked to the PCs display parameters. Thus, it is "redetected" every time the monitor is powered off.

Why Should You Care?
New monitors are already ditching the VGA and DVI connections. This same issue has been reported with HDMI cables. I recently bought two awesome displays (both without DVI-Dell UltraSharp U2414H) and I cannot use the dual DisplayPort connection on my Gigabyte ATI 7870. Luckily using the DVI with and HDMI adapter and the HDMI cable does not cause the above issue so I have a workaround (although I think DP produces better control over the monitor's adjustments). In the future high end cards and monitors will likely eliminate DVI as well, thus making multiple monitor set -ups annoying instead of liberating if a software solution to the issue is not produced.

Any thoughts or insights would be welcomed.

P.S. THIS IS NOT A DRIVER ISSUE OR A HARDWARE ISSUE-IT IS A MICROSOFT ISSUE.

Post subject: Re: DisplayPort "Monitor Off" Detection Issue Dual Monitor S
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I connect over DP and I plugged in via the DVI port on my GPU. If I turn off my DP monitor, this behavior does not happen. And in fact I don't hear the "disconnected device" sound when I turn off my monitor. I'm also using Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Post subject: Re: DisplayPort "Monitor Off" Detection Issue Dual Monitor S
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:30 pm 

Do you connect BOTH monitors via DP? If not then you will not be able to replicate the issue. My work around (described above) involves using the DVI and HDMI together instead of the 2 DP ports exclusively. For those who only have DP and HDMI as options (i.e. two DP or two HDMI or 2 of both) they will experience what I originally posted. If you have a card with two HDMI or two DPs then use them exclusively and see if it happens to you. My bet is that it will.