Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installing 3TB hard drive in WHS 2011 box?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Does anyone know of a way that I can install a 3TB drive in my WHS 2011 server computer? I can install the drive, but due to the limitations of the file system I can only use 2.1-2.2 TB of the space, which I understand is a limitations of the file system (MBR, I'm assuming or maybe it's an NTFS limitations--don't remember--haven't kept up on latest storage technology/systems).

Anyway, I would be perfectly content with having a 2.2 TB partition, and another 400 GB partition, as long as I can use the entire drive. But for some reason, I can't even format the remaining 400-500 GB after I partition and format the first 2.1-2.2 TB. Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to do this all within WHS 2011 so I would assume that I should be able to format it as a GPT partition, which from what I know, can be formatted as 3TB+...

I currently have 2 x 1TB drives, but am running out of SATA ports (which I only have 4 total, and 1 is for the OS hard drive) as I am in the process of collecting and storing all of my media on the server (most of which is ripped videos--HD and regular DVD) but seem to be going through disk space rather quickly. Both drives are almost full and will need to figure something out soon. My only two real options are to get the 3TB drive working, somehow, or to get a PCi-E SATA card and keep buying 1-2TB hard drives. I'm thinking the 3TB drive should last me a while, if I can get it to work the way I want it to.

Post subject: Re: Installing 3TB hard drive in WHS 2011 box?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Seeing that WHS2011 is based off 2008 R2... it should be fine with a 3TB drive as is. So you need to convert it to GPT (MBR has the hard limit of 2TB). To convert it, take a look at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26 ... -disk.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you figure out how to do it, please let us know.

I fiddled with WHS when it came out. My main purpose was to backup the other computers in the home network. I could only get WHS to do this with the primary drive - I could never get it to work with a second drive no matter what methods I tried. It was maddening!!! I originally tried a small HDD as the primary with a RAID0 2x1.5TB for storage and that didn't work. I changed to using one of the 1.5TB as the primary and eventually reinstalled onto a 2TB drive. That worked but I was always running out of space and constantly getting warnings. The motherboard eventually crapped out on me and I finally gave up. I hate to say it, but I was glad when that motherboard bit the dust.

Though the WHS did save my bacon once, overall it was a complete letdown. I've actually been wanting to use a NAS device but after all the headaches from my WHS experience, I've been reluctant to try again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

OK, good news (so far)....

I think I have it working now as a single 3TB partition (2.72 but that is what it should be).

So, all I did was completely erase anything on the drive so that it was a bare drive, essentially. No partitions or anything. Then I plugged the drive into the WHS 2011 box and when I went into the Computer Management -> Disk Management section and it says that there is a new disk ready to be configured (the wizard pops up). So I went through the wizard and created the disk as a Simple Disk, assigned it a drive letter, and formatted it as an NTFS drive.

I am, however, going to back this drive up to an external drive just to be sure. I want to fill the drive up and see if the partition crashes (hopefully not) But the important thing here is to configure the drive as GPT (not MBR or you will be limited to 1.8TB or 2.2TB I think).

This is how I did it. A few things to note is that I have this running on a PC that natively sees the drive as a 3TB drive without any disk overlays or whatnot. I also have all Windows updates installed for WHS 2011 as well.

I don't foresee any issues with the configuration I have, since Windows Server 2008 supports large partition sizes using RAID technology, and WHS 2011 is based off of Windows Server 2008 (a stripped down version, but still is a derivative of Server 2008 from what I've been told by various sources). I can't say if this will work for everyone. The key here is to completely wipe the drive of anything... partitions and files so that the OS sees it as a bare, blank, "new" drive. If it has partitions already on it, the wizard will not come up and you may not get the option to mount the drive as a GPT-type drive (you may only get the MBR option, which limits you to 1.8 TB or 2.2TB as mentioned above). And again, I have all WHS updates installed, and my motherboard which is an Intel G45-based motherboard, can natively see the 3TB drive as just that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Just an update: So far so good. No sign of data corruption. Just spent the whole day backing up the drive to an external drive (even over USB 3.0, it takes several hours to copy about 2TB of stuff, but I"m going to a portable laptop drive so that might be part of the reason).

I forgot to note in my explanation above: I have mine set up as a single drive, and NOT part of a RAID or JBOD array.