Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8.1 desktop not displaying properly
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:59 am 

I recently started using my custom built HTPC again after a while and it had been updated to Windows 8.1 before then.

After I logged back in, I noticed that the desktop wasn't displaying properly as it used to.

It's hooked up to a 32-inch Samsung HDTV via a HDMI port on the graphics card installed in the HTPC and the screen size is 1920 x 1080 to match the display on the tv itself. The taskbar has been cutoff at the bottom in half while you can hardly see the Start Button (I use Start 8 as a Start Button replacement) at all. (If I could, I'd post a photo of the problem except it won't let me do so via my ipad or phone)

I went into the Control Panel to try and fix the problem, but sadly I had no success at all.

I never had any problems in the past with the desktop display so I'm puzzled as to why I'm having one now.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem, I'd like to hear them. ^_^

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 desktop not displaying properly
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:36 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Look again in the driver for a TV setting. What card are you using....Nvidia or AMD? I know AMD has settings for setting up a TV because I have two 6970s running in crossfire, I looked and they are there.

Did you use the TVs menu to tell it that you are inputting with a PC?

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'd first check to see if the TV is doing any aspect ratio/screen filling shenanigans. I had to set my TV to "fill" or "stretch" because in the 16:9 mode proper, it was treating everything as if it had overscanning (which is silly in an LCD).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:33 am 

Nastyman wrote:
Look again in the driver for a TV setting. What card are you using....Nvidia or AMD? I know AMD has settings for setting up a TV because I have two 6970s running in crossfire, I looked and they are there.

Did you use the TVs menu to tell it that you are inputting with a PC?

Nasty

The graphics card I'm using is a AMD Radeon 6570 according to the devce manager which also has Intel HD Graphics 4000 listed in the section for display adapter.

The TV automatically detected the computer hooked up to the TV although I'm not to sue if I've done it right. In the past, I had no problems with the correct display.

EDIT: I accessed the 'Screen Adjustment' option in the TV menu and the 16:9 mode works fine for TV viewing and PC viewing in the past, but it doesn't seem to work now whereas if I switch the picture mode to 'Screen Fit', it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Jaycemeister wrote:
EDIT: I accessed the 'Screen Adjustment' option in the TV menu and the 16:9 mode works fine for TV viewing and PC viewing in the past, but it doesn't seem to work now whereas if I switch the picture mode to 'Screen Fit', it works.

You could also check to make sure the video card correctly detects the TV and see if it's letting the TV do the scaling rather than send a pre-scaled image to the TV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:13 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Jaycemeister wrote:

You could also check to make sure the video card correctly detects the TV and see if it's letting the TV do the scaling rather than send a pre-scaled image to the TV.

How do I check if the video card is detecting the tv correctly?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Go to the video card's control panel and poke around for wherever the displays settings are. Just make sure it's not reporting something like "Plug and play monitor"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:36 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Right click on your desktop>Amd Catalyst Control Center>My Digital Flat Panels>add check to the format you are using, hit apply, you can also create a custom format.

You said you had a Nvidia driver loaded, this could be causing your problem as you have three pieces of hardware banging heads...not good.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So I got curious and played around with my TV since I know I have this problem... well it's only a problem because it doesn't display properly at 1080p on the 16:9 option. I don't know if AMD has this option but NVIDIA has something for resolution resizing. Apparently this is because of overscanning.