Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Making use of a company distributed PC again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:24 pm 

My father still has a notebook that his old company from about 2 years ago never tried to collect. The company sent it preloaded with whatever stuff on it and no discs or anything. Now they have McAfee Endpoint Encryption installed and changed the key for login after my dad left the company. So we cannot use the computer for anything with it prompting the key before we can login to the computer. The computer is pretty much rendered useless and seems like a waste of a nice notebook collecting dust. I was wondering if there is a way to make use of the computer again and remove McAfee Endpoint Encryption. I do not care for any of the stuff currently on the computer or saving anything, and my dad said if I can make it usable again, i can have it. Is there a way to factory restore the computer and wipe everything back to factory state with this McAfee Endpoint Encryption on there? Would I be able to order the notebook's restore discs and restore the computer on boot using them with McAfee Endpoint Encryption on there? I want everything including it gone, and just have a usable factore restored notebook to use. any thoughts and help very much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Making use of a company distributed PC again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Getting a restore disk is iffy and actually not free in a lot of cases. I would just reinstall the OS from an install disk, if reinstalling an OS is even possible. Since you're not concerned about what's on the drive, you should see if you can at least get Linux installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:39 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Scroll half way down the page and under Installation it tells you how to remove it:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB72568

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You still need some kind of authentication code.

That'd be one serious backdoor if you could just remove it without one :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:29 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Reading over the page Nastyman linked to I saw this:
Can I update the Master Boot Record when EEPC 5.0 is installed and the hard disk encrypted?
Although EEPC replaces the original Master Boot Record (MBR) with its own code to allow the preboot authentication environment to start, it does not prevent other applications from updating the MBR. This is because the operating system uses the MBR to store disk information, and many types of applications might have to read and write to it.

IMPORTANT: If you have EEPC installed, never reset or replace the MBR using FDISK /MBR or FixBoot /FixMBR f because it disables the preboot authentication that EEPC requires to operate. If this happens, you must perform an emergency boot to fix the issue.

So, it lives in the MBR of the HDD. As long as the machine has a COA on it I'm guessing it should be pretty straightforward. I think you can just take this disk and format it or whatever (maybe on another machine, maybe with the command prompt from a repair/install disk). I'm not 100% on that because I'm not really familiar with this Endpoint Protection, but I think it will work. You should be able to salvage the HDD, just not the encrypted data, which you said isn't really a concern. Failing the ability to clean the old drive, you could just slap in a new one.

I'm gonna guess it shipped with Windows 7, so all you need is a Windows 7 install disk (or USB, whatever) of the appropriate flavor and the serial from the COA (might not even need that, the install might pick it up on its own).
Anyways, I guess the main point I wanted to make is that the encryption program seems to live on the HDD and nowhere else, so it should be fairly easy to reclaim the machine, if not the encrypted data.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My guess is if you completely format the hard drive, it gets rid of the encryption. You could use something like PartedMagic or some other live Linux distro to completely 0 out the drive and recycle it. I doubt encryption software like this completely locks out the drive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, assuming McAfee isn't tied into the laptop's BIOS eeprom storage security or the hard drive's built in security:

If the laptop came with Vista or later then
grab and image burn the corresponding Windows ISO image on Digital River (assuming you don't already have a appropriate disk on your own). Use the product key found on the laptop's affixed certificate of authenticity. Kill all partitions, repartition and quick format before OS install.

If it is XP then legally you will either have to use an alternate like Linux distribution, buy a new Windows OS license or find a OEM or retail XP copy that matches the laptop's product key license (i.e., Home with Home, Pro with Pro, MCE with MCE).

One other possibility would be if you can look up the manufacturer's instructions for performing a BIOS Menu Function key recovery install on their tech support page for the laptop. If this is available, not disabled and not password protected, then holding down a specific function key during boot will activate the restore OS to the way the laptop OS looked when it left the factory from the recovery partition on the HDD. Then you would need to install updates. EZPZ

If hard drive is password locked, then replace HDD with new one. Likely have to toss old drive but you can try rockbox crack. Unfortunately this can trigger the eeprom password lockdown if set and set to go off upon HDD removal. Several ifs. Hopefully their IT was lazy.

Hopefully the laptop was not reported stolen.