Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Freezes during restart - only when updating Windows
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:27 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This one is a head-scratcher for me.

I was re-purposing my old computer, which ran great in its previous configuration by the way, but for some reason consistently freezes when a windows update is installed and requires a restart. Specifically, Windows shuts down, the monitor goes black and right before you'd expect it to restart and POST, the computer just continues to run. I've let it go several minutes and nothing happens. Eventually I hit the restart or power button and when the computer reboots everything seems ok - no error message that windows didn't shut down properly. It boots normally.

If another application requires a restart - no problem. I restart the computer on my own - no problem. I shut it down at night - no problem. I have it set to start automatically in the morning - no problem.

Now, the SSD is new to the computer, as is the GPU. When I originally started this project, I re-installed windows on an SSD and experienced the same problem. Since Windows was updating so much, I saw the problem almost every reboot. Figuring it was a bad SSD, I swapped the SSD out for the current one and re-installed windows. Obviously, same problem but I kept the SSD in there, suffered with the problem, and actually got side-tracked with other things and kinda forgot about the computer for several months. When I came back to it, the rebooting issue was still there...but I was able to determine it only occurred when Windows required a restart.

Specs:
  • i7-870 (2.93)
  • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Rev 1.0
  • 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
  • 1TB HDD (D: drive)
  • 8GB RAM
  • ASUS 7790 GPU
  • Windows 7 64

I'm not certain what could be the problem. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Freezes during restart - only when updating Windows
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've had similar issues with windows update in the past especially after I upgraded to win 7 64 bit. I let it run and never tried to manually restart it as I've been told that is not a good thing to do. So I let it run, and it ran like that for about 20 - 30 minutes, then it finally completed restarting. I had forgotten about this until recently when I also upgraded to an SSD for my OS and the same thing happened. Though probably slightly faster. Now this system is older than yours so I don't expect yours to take 30 mins, but you never know. I would also start with a fresh install just in case something got screwed up when you force restarted it.

This is my experience. If you can, wait and see what some of the professionals say first.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:09 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would suspect it is a background app that is improperly refusing to close during restart. Might want to see what is running (Autoruns).

Look in Event Viewer for apps with warnings or worse.

You can either force a shutdown close with registry changes and/ or try a repair install to see if it is a broken app that is part of the OS.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

btdog wrote:
...re-purposing my old computer, which ran great in its previous configuration by the way, but for some reason consistently freezes when a windows update is installed and requires a restart. Specifically, Windows shuts down, the monitor goes black and right before you'd expect it to restart and POST, the computer just continues to run. .... It boots normally.

If another application requires a restart - no problem. ...

To add to my thoughts I think the Windows Updater is the app at fault. If this is XP, I remember there was an update to Updater 3.1 to correct an issue---but I don't remember the circumstances any more. If it is not XP then nevermind.

You can either manually install (reinstall) the latest updater appropriate for your OS from MS or do an inplace repair install after backing up your image of course.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks, Madmax and FacistNation.

The OS is Win 7 64 bit.

I don't think it's 3rd party software since it gets so far into the reboot process before it goes awry - everything shuts down properly and the monitor goes black (indicating it's lost input) and then it just sits there. It's kinda like Win 7 goes all the way through the reboot process and right before it should restart it forgets what it was doing (the computer keeps running but nothing starts up). When I do force it to power off and then turn it back on, I don't get any error message ("Windows didn't shutdown properly" or whatever it says) - it starts up like everything is normal.

Next time Windows ask to restart, I'll do what madmax suggests: let it go and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I wonder if it worked or not......