Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 Ultimate "Uninstall a Program" feature inoperative
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:27 pm 

Over the past few days, I've noticed that the "uninstall a program" feature of the Control Panel section of Windows 7 Ultimate no longer responds when I click on it. Given the fact that I've recently installed a number of updates from Microsoft itself recently, should I back up my data and attempt to reinstall Windows, or could there be some other cause that I need to check into first? (I've also tried and removed a number of other programs recently.) Or should I try a "repair Windows" option from the system install disk instead? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Ultimate "Uninstall a Program" feature inopera
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can try just doing Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features. If you can recall before when this happened, do a system restore from that point. If that doesn't work, a repair install. Then if that doesn't work, consider reinstalling.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
That's really weird. I think I'd scan for malware first. Do you mean that Programs and Features won't open, or that trying to uninstall any program from the list doesn't work? You could try running "sfc /scannow". Also, you could try System Restore (not a fan personally, but it can work). I think I might try running the registry cleaner in CCleaner, too. (Is this the machine that was locking up? Did you get the new proc put in?)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:15 am 

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
That's really weird. I think I'd scan for malware first. Do you mean that Programs and Features won't open, or that trying to uninstall any program from the list doesn't work? You could try running "sfc /scannow". Also, you could try System Restore (not a fan personally, but it can work). I think I might try running the registry cleaner in CCleaner, too. (Is this the machine that was locking up? Did you get the new proc put in?)

I haven't put in the new CPU as of yet, but I plan to do so in the next few days. I tried both the malware scan and CCleaner, but no luck. Rather than fool with a System Restore, I've backed up all my data files, and as soon as my backup drive finishes defragging, I'm gonna reinstall Windows 7 from the get-go. Normally, I'd wipe the drive first, but to save time, I'm gonna use Partition Assistant to erase the partitions from a bootable CD-ROM, and then proceed with the reinstall. Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Yeah, I'll re-install Windows with minor provocation, but not everybody wants to do that all the time. Sounds like you've got it in hand.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm 

Unfortunately, all my attempts at making a backup ended in the data becoming corrupted, no matter what I did or didn't do, so I had to just bite the bullet and proceed with the reformatting and reinstallation. I lost somewhere around a year's worth of data files, some of which I MAY be able to recover from online sources (i.e., email attachments, etc.). Anyhow, I now have Windows 7 Ultimate reinstalled and updated, and am now reloading my application software. Thanks for the advice, everybody!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If you don't write anything else to the disk (installing programs and such) you might be able to get some stuff back with data recovery software. Test Disk and Recuva are good.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:02 pm 

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
If you don't write anything else to the disk (installing programs and such) you might be able to get some stuff back with data recovery software. Test Disk and Recuva are good.

No go in that respect--the data was so badly corrupted it was unrecoverable. Since then, I have gone ahead and installed the Core 2 Duo CPU, and my PC appears to have settled right down. In fact, it's running better and faster and smoother than it ever has before! :D