Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New GPU and system crashing in use. What's bad?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello all! I was running games relatively fine off of my CPU before I got a graphic card. Here is what I was running.

Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20 GHz (37°C idle)
16GB RAM DDR3 @ 800MHz
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 (33°C idle)
Zalman ZM700-GLX PSU

I had been playing games such off of the i5 until I just recently purchased and installed (3 days ago) an Sapphire R9 280X (37°C idle). Everything was running smooth and then I launched Dark Souls 2. Highest settings and FPS in the sky. Ran around for about 4 minutes then the screen went grey with strange scanlines running vertical. Frozen. Reboot and tried again, same thing. Tried running Windows Experience Index and same thing (or maybe a solid white or black screen). Tried reinstalling the drivers after a wipe but no good. Went to the ultimatum and reinstalled the OS. Did the Windows Experience Index and it ran, scoring both graphics rankings at 1.0. Tried it again after several reboots and had it freeze. I'm planning on sending it back for another one but just wanted to make sure nobody would think it was a problem with the PSU. Any opinions? I'd appreciate it.

Also worth mentioning that running some 3DMark Vantage would start and then the program crash saying something like device disconnected. Also running ATITool fuzzy cube or FurMark would lead to the aforementioned crashing. Graphics card is the problem? Thanks

Post subject: Re: New GPU and system crashing in use. What's bad?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it was working fine before, then it's the video card. As a last resort, you can try updating the BIOS. But if that doesn't work, RMA the card.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
If it was working fine before, then it's the video card. As a last resort, you can try updating the BIOS. But if that doesn't work, RMA the card.

Thanks for responding. I'll update the BIOS but looks like I'll plan for RMA.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I agree it looks like the video card. But before you get a replacement check and make sure the graphics card is seated correctly and double check all your other connections. I'm not familiar with that graphics card but what are the wattage requirements. One other thing is it might be the PSU. I had a similar problem in the past (10 - 12 years ago) that made me think it was the graphics card but when advised to check the PSU I did (had to buy an inexpensive PSU tester) and it was bad, or going bad. So I purchased a new PSU and everything ran great.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Make sure the 6-pin and 8-pin PCIE connectors are seated too. And if modular PSU make sure seated at both ends.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:56 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Doing a quick search for Radeon R9 grey screen shows that this seems to be a pretty common issue since the release of these cards. One workaround seems to be running the games in windowed mode, which means it's most likely a driver issue. This is really sad since the cards have been out for more than half a year now and it's still happening.

If the other suggestions don't work, make sure you're using Catalyst 14.4 driver. If you're already using 14.4 driver, then you might want to RMA & swap for a NVidia GTX 770 card.