Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just upgraded my older Gateway SX2311 and am having issues.
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm 

Well to start my endeavor I have been out of the amateur building game for about 4+ years, what better way to challenge myself than upgrade my old brick. Ha well it isnt much but here it is:

Gateway SX2311
Processors AMD Phenom II x 4 820
NVidia Geforce 9200 Chipset
GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
APEVIA X-QPACK2-RED/500 Black/ Red Aluminum Body/ Front Mask MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 500W Power Supply
Western Digital 1TB 32Mb Cache Hard Drive WD10EADS
Radeon HD 5450 PCI Express 512mb DDR3

I am having only a few issues that are more OCD than anything however the first is my BSOD.
The area that is giving me issues is RTKVHD64.sys this occurs at random and when I am always away from my computer. I have removed drivers installed fresh updated and still get the issue. I've disabled the nvidia display thats with the mobo as well.

My second issue is that I doubled the RAM and this computer is the exact same speed as before, how might I diagnose any issues related to the addition of RAM?

Thanks for looking,
Tib

Post subject: Re: Just upgraded my older Gateway SX2311 and am having issu
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

To test your RAM, you need to get Memtest86 and a free USB thumbstick. Install only the RAM in question (if you install it with all of your RAM sticks, you can't narrow down which one is bad if errors start showing up), boot the computer into the USB thumbdisk (you may have to muck with BIOS or go into a boot menu), and let it run for a few rounds. If it isn't bleeding with errors ( a handful is fine), then the RAM is good.

As far as your RTKVHD64.sys error is concerned, download and install Speccy and have it figure out what motherboard you have. Go find it online and download the audio drivers for that board.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:39 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

For the Realtek HDAudio driver, I would enter Safe Mode, uninstall the audio driver, reboot into safe mode, install the latest 64bit Win7 driver (I'm assuming) from Realtek. Hopefully that stops that. LatiosXT may be wanting you to make sure you actually have a Realtek audio chip on the MB ... and I must admit my Google searches cannot confirm that.

First, I'd update to the latest BIOS revision available (from the increasingly horrid Gateway support download page) if not already installed as there maybe some memory registrations added.

Testing RAM: Pull one stick and run. Does problem remain or go away?

Swap in other stick and run. Does problem remain or go away?

If problem exists with both sticks tested separately what are the odds both sticks are bad?---very unlikely. So some other cause is likely.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:02 pm 

I appreciate the quick responses. Ill test what you guys suggested and get back to you with results. Yes I am running Windows 7.
Thanks Again,
Tib

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:05 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would try these Realtek drivers, use the manual option, I hate instal programs:

http://www.driversinstaller.com/realtek.html

I have always used the drivers from Realtek and never had any problems.

I also use this program to uninstall programs and clean up my registry:

http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner- ... 7AodzVMAhw

Click on the free version ;)

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am 

Ok here is an update:

As far as speed issues I was checking my paged file size and it was WAY out of whack so once I manually adjusted the size no more speed issues.

Now for my BSOD Ive realized since Ive transferred cases the RealTek High Definition Audio on the playback devices screen flashes between plugged and unplugged constantly. This causes intermittent sound, I disabled the device since I am using HDMI output for audio anyways and this fixed the sound issue, but I believe this is what is causing my random BSOD. The new case I have now has a front panel with 1394, audio and recording slots, with 2 USB ports. The only things that work on the front of the case are 1 of the usb plug ins. Normally people will say look a the manual on your MOBO of take pictures of before and after, which Ive done and I cannot find any additional info on my MOBO. Short and sweet help lol!

I also did the drivers like reccommended

Thanks,
Tib

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:06 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

1. If the MB had a firewire header (I doubt it) you can plug it in, otherwise the port is useless unless you provide a card with a header---black electrical tape over it may be more pleasing. Be warned I believe a USB header connector can fit on a 1394 header and will cause damaging shorts.

2. The new case would have a HD audio cable connector that will fit on the MB's HD audio header.

All connections are likely marked in tiny white print embossed on the MB next to or nearby each header.

Yes, your Gateway generic manual SUCKS!!!! And their user literature has gotten even worse for those who did not download everything available on your model when new you are SOL now.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:00 pm 

Update:

So I moved some plugs around and now my USB and audio works on the front. The audio playback devices starts to toggle between HDMI and realtek high definition audio with nothing plugged into the realtek ports. I can disable the audio and it continues to toggle but no longer intermittently cuts out the audio from the HDMI. When I plug headphones into the front jack the toggling stops but if i plug in the microphone into the front jack it starts toggling again. This sounds confusing but I can attach a video if someone wants to see. Ive done every angle with the drivers I think that my integrated sound on the MOBO was damaged and the come cannot distinguish between the front jacks and the rear jacks.

As far as the 1394 port its no longer plugged in and I have no need for it so it is fine where its at. Ive considered replacing the MOBO with a new processor anyways. Any additional help would be great I appreciate all help thus far!
Thanks Again,
Tib