Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gateway - Windows 7 - Hangs on Restart.
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:02 pm 

Hey all,
First Post and Hope you all can give me a quick fix.
I just purchased this clean PC off of a friend the other day.
The issue I am having is when I click START, RESTART it does it's thing, and then when it goes to reboot, it just hangs there with a black screen.
I have to manually press the power button (which immediately shuts it off), then press the power button again and it works like a champ and loads perfectly "every time".
It is a;
:Gateway DX4831
:Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
:Intel Core i3 CPU 530 2.93GHz
:6GB Ram
:64-bit

Like I said, it does this every time. I only have a 1TB drive internal with a 2TB USB external.
Hope you all can drop the knowledge on me and get me hooked up.

Thanks in advance,

~Don

Post subject: Re: Gateway - Windows 7 - Hangs on Restart.
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Where exactly does it hang on the black screen? After Windows tells you it's shutting down or before that?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:15 pm 

It shows "Shutting Down",
completely shuts down,
starts to reboot,
shows the Gateway logo, and then it's like it doesn't see the bios and then shows a flashing cursor in the top left corner with the black screen. (sometimes just the black screen)
I then push the power button, which immediately shuts off,
then I push the power again and it loads up with the Gateway logo,
then it see's the bios and then loads into windows within 15-20 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:17 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Well, good news bad news. Since it does it reliably rule out should be a breeze.

First it seems to be hanging early in the boot process. I'd unplug the drives and repeat. It should do the same thing ruling them out.

The second thing I would do is determine the RAM and configuration I had. CPU-z will do this.

With 6Gb in a 4 slot configuration, you either have a 2x2Gb+2x1Gb config or a 4Gb+2Gb config.

I'd try temporarily running on either a matched set with the rest removed or a single stick depending upon the setup. See if the problem goes away.

I assume onboard video, otherwise I would remove and run temporarily on onboard video to rule out graphics card.

One hopes you knew this PC had an issue before purchase, or you friend did not knowingly sell you a lemon. Something may have gotten dislodged during transport between your two places...reseating everything may clear it up.

My suspicion is a bad PSU as the problem shows itself reliably on cold boot when things really suck power up, yet it reliably works on a warm boot. I suppose you could try to get a report of voltages using HWMonitor. I could point you to an app that will stress the PSU but am reluctant with an OEM PSU as it really stresses it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:37 pm 

Ok I will try a few things you posted.
You know what is funny.. When you said about the RAM configuration. I did notice something when I first got the PC. I was outside blowing it out and saw the stack of RAM as a 2GB/1GB/2GB/1GB. I was wondering why it was stacked like that.
I also had the issue before I installed my Video Card so I know that is not the cause.
I was thinking it might have been something didn't load right when he reinstalled Windows and wiped the drives.
I am going to shut it down now and try to reposition the RAM evenly, and I will also check for anything that is loose.

If all fails, I will run the test on the PSU.
LOL, It's not a lemon yet. So far I am very pleased with the overall speeds and what it is doing now. It's just the nuisance of the reboot issue.

**Update**

Ok, I arranged the RAM to a 2GB,2GB,1GB,1GB and it is still doing it. It's like when you RESTART the PC from within Windows, it reboots and doesn't see the Bios, but when you use the Power button it does see it when it loads. Weird Stuff......

~D

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:48 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would check the motherboard for bad caps:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... ZpZNdCvIf0

If you have any caps like you see in the images, bulging split and leaking the motherboard has to be repaired or replaced. Some times you will have bad caps in the psu as well, I would take a peek inside, if you can.

Find the manufactures name of your hard drive and go to its site, download the ISO for testing the hard drive and make a cd to do so. There are two tests, quick and long I always run both even if the first one says the drive is ok. I have found in the past the long test will find problems where the short test will not.

To eliminate any problems with the os download a Linux Live cd and see if it will boot right up to it. if it does the pc is probably ok but windows may not be.

Hope this helps a little bit....

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:39 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

DonteDragon wrote:
.... the stack of RAM as a 2GB/1GB/2GB/1GB.

normal
DonteDragon wrote:
.... before I installed my Video Card so I know that is not the cause.

So you do have an unlisted GPU.
DonteDragon wrote:
.... I arranged the RAM to a 2GB,2GB,1GB,1GB ....

Who told you to do that? Why would you do that? What would that have accomplished?

If you are not going to perform basic logical rule outs why should anyone waste their time trying to diagnose your problem?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nastyman wrote:
I would check the motherboard for bad caps....

That is a good suggestion in this case. One or more weak or failed caps could definitely cause this symptom and with the exception of solid caps around the 24-pin power connector, all caps appear electrolytic.