Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PCI-e x16 malfunction
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:56 pm 

The other day I replaced the CPU fan and heat sink in my computer because the fan was rather noisy. It was not overheating or anything, it was just a noise issue. After replacing it, I started having problems with my display. It would blank out once for a few seconds after the Windows startup screen and then again after logging in. At this time I would see an error saying that the display driver was not responding, then shortly after the monitor would go blank for good. The PC appeared to be running, but there was nothing I could do to get the display up.

I went into safe mode and removed the drivers, which were already current, and reinstalled using a clean installation. No fix. I located a Microsoft support article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 and that didn’t work either. I swapped out power supply cords and even tried a known working video card (9800 GTX+) and the result was the same. Completely removing it and using the onboard video worked fine. My temps were all good and otherwise everything looked to be in order. Then I tried moving the card from the PCI-e x16 to the x4 slot. Works perfectly. I tried switching it back and the problem came back again.

I assume that the slot is damaged. I am wondering what kind of a performance hit I will see in games now, and could this be the start of a mobo going bad? I am saving for an upgrade, but it won’t be until early next year so I am hoping that maybe it can hold out for that long so I don’t have to spend on a new board in the meantime.

Current setup:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Micro ATX
Intel Core i5-2400
16GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC SSD
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA Internal Hard Drive
ASUS 12X Blu-ray and DVD Burner
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX
Windows 7 Home

Edit: improper use of an adverb

Post subject: Re: PCI-e x16 malfunction
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you didn't touch the video card or anything, then I have doubts that something happened physically. However, if it's any comfort, at least for a GTX 680/Radeon HD 7970, you can go down all the way to a PCI-Express 2.0 x4 before performance really suffers.

But ah, let's get software out of the way. Reinstall the drivers.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 am 

I removed 2 sticks of RAM and the video card when I installed the cpu fan/heatsink. One thing I liked about this case was the vast amount of space and the easy snap-in connectors for everything, so the card took only a few seconds to remove, involving just a flip of two connectors and a press a button on the slot and it came out just fine.

As far as the drivers, I reinstalled them a couple times already, once in safe mode and then after uninstalling and using onboard video I reinstalled again after placing it in the x4 slot. So far it has been stable, but when moving it into the x16, the problems rear their ugly heads again. Each time I did a clean installation. I'll uninstall again, move it back into the x16 and reinstall and see how that goes and then report back.

Thank you for the reply!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:29 am 

Ok, I uninstalled the driver (335.23, same one that has been installed since March) and moved the card up to the x16 slot. Started the PC, installed driver (clean installation to be sure), restarted PC and all the problems came back, including a BSOD listing nvlddmk.sys as the problem. I forgot to mention that this happened once before after putting in the new CPU fan and heat sink (that's how I found the Microsoft support article).

I restarted the PC and again, same issues. Couple of things worth noting: 1) the Windows logo freezes and then after a couple minutes it instantly switches to the completed 7 logo, 2) after entering my password at the log in screen, a fairly thick white line appears horizontally across the screen, 3) my gadgets disappear (they only reappear in the x4 slot), and lastly 4) the message about the driver not responding pops up 5 or 6 times before the monitor goes black. It actually pops up, fades away, and then pops right back up.

In the x4 slot, everything is groovy. No problems at all like those listed above. The monitor never blacks out.

Also, while I was down in the trenches, I realized that I have an x8 slot, but there is no way I could possibly use it since the card is now sitting about an inch above the PSU and the x8 would leave maybe a hair between the two.