Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dell 1535 Laptop shuts down
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:03 pm 

My buddy's Dell 1535 Laptop shuts itself off after about 15 minutes. He upgraded it to Win. 7 and this started happening. It may or may not be caused by that, I don't know. Unfortunately I can't check it out because he got pissed and put a screwdriver through the screen. I have my Dell 1535 that I use but I don't want to switch the screen over to that one without knowing sort of what's going on. He gave me the laptop so I have time to fart around with it. Any ideas?
It's a Dell Studio 1535 model PP33L
I just started it up and it shuts off after about 5 minutes. I did hear the start up tones and the cpu fan was running at different speeds.

Post subject: Re: Dell 1535 Laptop shuts down
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Did you clean it up? I suspect it's overheating.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Overheating was my first guess, as well. What does that thing have, an HDMI out? You could try plugging up a monitor to it if you've got one handy.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 am 

I'm going to hook it up to a monitor tonight after work. The fan runs very fast and goes faster and slower. I took the cover off and it was clean but my friend may have cleaned it. It was his wife's and may have gotten gunked up. Could the cpu paste be dried up and not working?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Should've added if the computer feels very warm after it shuts down, then it's overheating. I don't want to go that route unless it's confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 am 

I talked to my buddy this morning and he said the laptop was jammed full of crap. I'm thinking the cpu iis damaged. I have the old one from when I upgraded my Dell and I'll stick it in and see it that makes a difference. What else could be heat damaged? I'll try one thing at a time.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:41 pm 

Just an FYI for those who don't know, Make sure all the fan stuff is clean. I took the fan and heat sink unit off, separated the fan from the mount and found a nasty cigarette smelling felt like mat blocking the outflow vent. So it's no wonder it shut off after a couple minutes. Got it booted up with the original cpu and showing on a monitor up to the password screen. Stayed on for a while until I shut it down so I guess it's ok for now. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I had something similar happen recently with a video card. I couldn't understand why the damn thing always ran so hot until I actually took the shroud off. The inside ends of the fins were completely blocked with fuzz and grunge.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 am 

Since the laptop starts to have the auto shut down problem after updating to Windows 7, I would suggest if we have the other empty HDD to try just installing the original OS.

now, I would suggest we give the laptop a discharge first by removing all power sources including the power adapter and battery, then pressing the power button over 15 seconds, after this discharge, we connect only the power adapter, power on the laptop again, when we just power on the laptop, get to the Bios, reset Bios default.

Then try booting the Windows7 as usual.
If the laptop still shut down, try the same process and select the boot menu when laptop powering on, run the Last Known Good Configuration, then the safe mode.

We should also install the latest mobo chipset driver for the laptop on the Windows 7, must follow by a reboot.
Then install the latest video card and other system device drivers for Windows 7 again one by one.
The latest chipset driver can give the better system integrity so letting all other components on the mobo running more smoothly and thus causing less conflict, hope this can generating less heat.

Besides, if your friend did dropped the laptop on the floor, we need to check the CPU connection on the mobo as well.
Try reseating the CPU and replace some thermal paste. Check the FAN as well.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.