Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Missing Monitor :(
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:47 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I need two monitors for efficient work on my CCNA courses. So, I have my Dell 30" LCD as my primary monitor running from Display Port at the card into mini-display port at the monitor. As a secondary monitor, I have my old Viewsonic VP201s 20.1" LCD running via DVI-I single link cable from card to monitor.

3 Weeks ago, it was working fine, but I was working with a trouble-shooting install of Windows - i.e. install Windows but don't activate it till I have all the problems nailed down & fixed. The day I hit 30 days on the install, the Viewsonic stopped working in Windows. I've since done a clean reinstall & activated Windows, but the monitor still not working.

It's not the monitor, the cable, or the video card....

Upon boot, I get BIOS, & Windows startup on the Viewsonic, it goes black & my login screen pops up on the Dell. When connected to other computers with the same cable, the Viewsonic works fine. I plugged both of my spare monitors into the same cable/DVI port on the card, and both of those work fine in Windows.

Just to make sure it wasn't some funky driver thing...I tried older drivers, going all the way back to January (well before problem started) with driver version 332.21.

I really need this monitor, work that was taking an hour now takes up to 2 1/2 hours. I can't use either of the spares without moving my computer setup to a different location because everything is a tight fit as is, and I don't really have a better place to setup.

At this point, I'm seriously considering taking the two VP201's apart (one has a dead backlight), and swapping backlights because the one without the backlight shows up just fine :lol:

Post subject: Re: Missing Monitor :(
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Since you didn't mention it, does it actually show up in either the video card configuration settings, Windows' resolution settings, or Device Manager?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Along with LatiosXT's quesitons, here are a few other items to consider:

• Are you running SLI?
  • Is the Viewsonic using a DVI/VGA adapter?
  • Have you tried uninstalling the GPU and monitors through Windows' Control Panel? Reboot and let Windows reconfigure normally

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This is a freaky weird problem!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:20 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

No SLI - single GTX-660-TI in use
No DVI/vga adapter - using the single-link DVI-I cable that came with the VP201s, though I also tried the DVI-D Dual-Link cable that came with my Dell 30"
The monitor is completely invisible to the computer once the Windows login screen comes up.

The other VP201s, the one with the dead backlight, shows up in Windows, and has the desktop extended to it when I plug it in.

FascistNation wrote:
This is a freaky weird problem!

Yes indeed :|

I guess I'll just try swapping the control boards between the two monitors & see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The swap worked :?: :?: :?: :?:

Don't know why since the monitor worked on other PC's as it was.... But apparently something between the GTX-660-Ti & this control board no longer saw eye-to-eye

It was actually very easy to take out, 4 monitor retention nuts, 4 screws, & 4 cables & out it came, drop the other one in & voilĂ 

Happy again!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Now that's MaxPC stuff. Huh, monitor's not working. I'll just swap the boards. *twist, twist, unplug, plug* There, all better.