Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Formatting an ssd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm 

I built a new gaming pc. My first build. One of the last things that I tried do was get my Canon MX700 printer going. The printer works but I can't get the scanner to run. Canon tech support is no help. They think that it is a firewall thing or an anti virus thing or a Windows thing or some software incompatibility thing. Before trying to install my printer I installed Prime 95 to do a stress test. I never figured out how to use it. Seemed to always be running. I uninstalled it. I also downloaded a cpu temp program. Don't remember which one. I uninstalled it too. Never saw my cpu temp go over 36. Doubted the program's accuracy. Also installed MSI Afterburner. Uninstalled it. There was another MSI utility that I installed then uninstalled. Plus McAfee Security suite. Still have that one. I am thinking that of formatting the ssd and starting over. I would download all of the Canon stuff from the Canon site with antivirus disabled to a thumb drive ahead of time? Don't know if having the anti virus disabled matters. After updating drivers and Windows ( I have Win 7 64), trying to install the printer. The computer seems to be working fine. I have been playing Metro 2033 on very high settings no problem. I guess that could have been the stress test. I also have a 1 tb mech hd. Would I have to go through the initializing process again. I suppose that means formatting the mech hd as well? Not sure what do do from here.

Post subject: Re: Formatting an ssd
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is this about the printer or an SSD?

Post subject: Re: Formatting an ssd
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Like LatiosXT asked: "Is this about the printer or an SSD?" Because some of your explanation was a little misleading.
I will assume it is about your printer and the scanner not working.
I doubt it is a firewall problem because you said the printer itself works fine but the scanner isn't working, so they are talking. Does the computer tell you when it can't complete a print job because there is no ink or paper in the printer? I would think yes, which again means they are talking.
Reformatting the SSD and re-installing everything is probably not recommended on the SSD. I would double check to make sure the drivers you are using are the ones recommended for your OS, hopefully though Canon already ensured that, but just in case.....
I would uninstall the printer completely (drivers and everything), then plug it back into your computer and let windows see if it can find the best compatible drivers then see if it works. If still a no go I would give it a few minutes and check to see if windows update can find any updates for your system. If that still doesn't work you may need to give us a little more detail.

Brtuce