Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8.1 Freezes During Boot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

Hello: Any ideas or suggestions please? I've already done quite work and can't figure this out.

THE PROBLEM

When restarting my PC, I get the following boot screen: "Gigabyte Insist on Ultra Durable" and then the swirly dots start to appear (about 1/2 second) and then immediately freezes.

This happens intermittently (not every time). Restarting the PC sometimes allows a successful boot but sometimes it freezes again and then if that happens a few times in a row it goes to a repair menu.

This started happening after I happen to have done quite a few things at the same time: I completely disassembled my entire PC in order to install (1) Corsair H100i water cooling unit (2) added two more sticks of RAM (see below) these are matched make/model but a different set (3) plugged in a little internal PC speaker doohicky and (4) had installed the Corsair Link software.

I don't have a single problem with the PC after it's started, i.e. can game for hours without any freezes, restarts, etc. I have captured and edited and rendered a bunch of videos too without a single problem. Also, the temps on this machine never get high at all.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR

1. I've replaced the Corsair H100i (it was defective) and reinstalled another, however this time it is not connected at all; I have the pump powered by the power supply and then the fans are ran off the motherboard and I don't have the unit plugged into a USB slot --- SO I DON'T THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM

2. I uninstalled the Corsair Link Software --- SO I DON'T THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM

3. I've ran some RAM testing with Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic in basic mode over one night and then standard mode over a second night. This takes a Long time, so I haven't finished an Extended test yet. Also, I've yet to run a second (or third) app for testing yet (i.e. gonna run Memtest) -- CANNOT RULE OUT A RAM PROBLEM but so far so good

4. I turned off hybrid boot and I still have this problem. --- SO I DON'T THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM

5. As I write this, I wonder if I should unplug the PC speaker but surely that wouldn't cause a problem?

6. I have various USB devices plugged in (see below) but these were all used before the problem started too... so, not thinking this could be it?

MY SYSTEM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H LGA 1150
Processor: Intel 3.5GHz Core i7-4770K -- overclocked to 4.1GHz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz -- running at 1866 MHz
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N78TOC-3GD GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Hard Drive # 1: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SATA III SSD
Hard Drive # 2: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SATA III SSD
Optical Drive # 1: Sony BD-ROM BDU-X10S
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition Matte Black
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M
Sound Card: None
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS238H-P
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with all latest updates
USB Devices:
1. RAZER Naga MMO Mouse (original)
2. RAZER Black Widow Ultimate
3. RAZER TIAMAT 7.1
4. Logitech G13

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 Freezes During Boot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
You could try booting a LiveCD. I know you said it's intermittent, maybe try booting a LiveCD repeatedly? Maybe get an idea of if it's SSD/OS or other hardware. I'm kind of liking RAM, try reseating all of the DIMMs and/or removing all but one (in whichever slot your mobo is supposed to use for only one DIMM) and waiting to see if the problem occurs. If it does, try another stick. If it doesn't, try another stick or start adding DIMMs back until it does. Are your SSDs RAIDed together? If not have you tried booting with the non-OS drive disconnected?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Remove the new RAM and see if the problem goes away. I'm betting it does.

I'm pretty certain the answer is yes, but is this 1.5V RAM?

Easy things you can try: Make sure BIOS is up to date.

Then do a CMOS reset per MB manual or FAQ.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:49 pm 

Thanks for the previous posts.

Yes, the RAM is 1.5V
BIOS is up to the most recent update
The SSD's are not in RAID

Sounds like the RAM is most suspicious. I'm wondering the same.

I forgot to set up my PC for extended RAM tests before I went to bed last night (gives me ~20 hours until getting home from work the next day). Gonna do that tonight since it's easy and then if no problems found, then take out the sticks individually like is mentioned above -- got called to work next few days straight so will be awhile before I can sit and spend some time in front of the PC testing things out. I hope to post an update.

Thanks for the tips so far :)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:04 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I'd run memtest86+. But, even if the RAM passes, it could still be bad (a lot less likely, but I've seen it myself).

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:09 pm 

Hmm... swapped RAM out and same problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

DrGerm wrote:
....When restarting my PC, I get the following boot screen: "Gigabyte Insist on Ultra Durable" and then the swirly dots start to appear (about 1/2 second) and then immediately freezes....

I take it the "swirly dots"???? are normal signal that Win8 is loading? [the stars that come together in a circle to form the MS logo?]

[Plus you might want to disable the Gigabyte ad for a faster boot time once this problem gets fixed.]

1. CMOS reset above to get default values back and force BIOS to re-examine its environment. See if that fixes. I don't think it will unless it is too aggressive an OC [whose symptom could be described as "swirly dots" appearing], but it sets everything to base for the next suggestion.

2. Eliminate the possibilities. Pull it all out and do a minimal external build ("breadboard"). Eliminates case short and a lot of components right from the start. If it works, add stuff back one at a time until the problem resurfaces. If it doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM, and in a different slot. Still no, then you have a minimum number of possibilities to consider: MB, CPU, PSU, boot drive (since this seems to occur in the post-BIOS boot phase), keyboard (which can be temporarily pulled or swapped for a boot test). Spare known working PSU or drive can rule out those.

The intermittent nature (seems like at Windows boot) will make this a problem to solve.

edit: Since this is intermittent one thing you can try before pulling stuff out, but after you have ruled out over aggressive OC, is to pull the GPU and run off onboard graphics. I have my suspicions this is occurring when your OS is shifting into high rez mode. Also please say you have not tried to OC further that already factory OC'd GPU? That really is the max the GPU can electrically go.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:52 am 

Thanks for more good ideas; sorry this troubleshooting process is taking long; I'm at the end of having picked up 12 days of 14 hour shifts. I get home and troubleshoot for 20-30 minutes and then just go into playing games for a few hours to relieve stress then go to bed.

What's odd is that I still don't find any problems except for that one moment during boot

FascistNation wrote:
I take it the "swirly dots"???? are normal signal that Win8 is loading? [the stars that come together in a circle to form the MS logo?]

Yes; like a swirl of dots that go in a circle; I think it's MS's latest iconic "logo"

FascistNation wrote:
[Plus you might want to disable the Gigabyte ad for a faster boot time once this problem gets fixed.]

Ya, I never turn on any fast boot settings in BIOS, etc cause I wonder if there's a risk of problems. Beside, this system loads super fast. Boots to OS in like 4-5 seconds and then Steam loads in like 4-5 seconds then I'm gaming or browsing the interwebz (which is all I do with this particular machine).

FascistNation wrote:
1. CMOS reset above to get default values back and force BIOS to re-examine its environment. See if that fixes. I don't think it will unless it is too aggressive an OC [whose symptom could be described as "swirly dots" appearing], but it sets everything to base for the next suggestion.

Yes, the CMOS reset should be done tonight; someone else recommended this and I should have tried it already.

FascistNation wrote:
2. Eliminate the possibilities. Pull it all out and do a minimal external build ("breadboard"). Eliminates case short and a lot of components right from the start. If it works, add stuff back one at a time until the problem resurfaces. If it doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM, and in a different slot. Still no, then you have a minimum number of possibilities to consider: MB, CPU, PSU, boot drive (since this seems to occur in the post-BIOS boot phase), keyboard (which can be temporarily pulled or swapped for a boot test). Spare known working PSU or drive can rule out those.

Ugghhh.... but you're right, this could be necessary since the problem started after I had "re-did" the machine to install a water cooler. When I swapped that cooler out (to see if that affected it), I unplugged and re-plugged everything again, but I didn't take the entire Mobo out, etc. to see if something could be shorting on some part of the case, etc.

FascistNation wrote:
edit: Since this is intermittent one thing you can try before pulling stuff out, but after you have ruled out over aggressive OC, is to pull the GPU and run off onboard graphics. I have my suspicions this is occurring when your OS is shifting into high rez mode. Also please say you have not tried to OC further that already factory OC'd GPU? That really is the max the GPU can electrically go.

I OC the CPU only a smidge. from 3.9GHz to it's either 4 or 4.1. I don't OC the GPU at all; haven't worked on it yet. I just remembered that I did OC the RAM to 1866 (which is supposed to be the rated freq for that RAM. In addition the CMOS reset, I think my next step is turning off the minimal OC settings I have just to see.

All this is still a new system, I'm thinking I'll need to aggressive isolate each part when I'm off next to see if I need to RMA a part.

Thanks for the continued ideas!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:34 pm 

Got home to do more troubleshooting and then started to freak out because the machine was not booting up EVERY time today (which is a new problem.... was only intermittent)

I Reset CMOS without any fix. Reset the BIOS to default settings. Took out that PC speaker (just in case since it was new! LOL!). Double checked some cables and such to make sure they were secure in the case.

I had ordered another pair of the same memory to use in troubleshooting and that came in the mail today. My gut has been telling me that's still where the money is... I was much more diligent with testing the RAM tonight.

I think I'm convincing myself that it's the Motherboard RAM slots: when I try any of the 6 different sticks of RAM I have (all identical make/model albeit 2 different "version" numbers) in slots 1 or 2, I don't seem to have any problems. I reset over and over without a problem (save maybe one reset out of 10)

HOWEVER, as soon as I try RAM in slot 3 (or 3 and 4), then I start recreating the problem nearly 9 times out of 10.

This could explain why I didn't have a problem until adding the second pair of RAM (because those would be put into slots 3 & 4).

I'm thinking an RMA to Gigabyte is in order... ?

Anyway, posting this because I've heard / read before the following advice and I think it applies: You really got to check all possible combinations of problems when it comes to RAM... it's a pain in the butt... but it might have paid off to keep persisting.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 am 

I'm about to yell.

Replaced the motherboard with a brand new one (same make/model) and same thing.

Freezes when RAM are in slots 3 (alone) or 3&4. I have 6 sticks of the same RAM, doesn't matter what combination.

I am perplexed.... frustrated..

Off to do a clean install to see if that fixes it....

Could this have anything to do with the power supply? i.e. adding just one more stick of RAM draws just a volt or two more power than can be supplied or something and it freaks out?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm 

So far, it would appear that a clean install (Win 8 then upgrade to 8.1) has fixed the problem...