Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 update keeps failing - but only on one PC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am 
Willamette
Willamette

So I've got a refurbished Lenovo ThinkCentre computer. It's about 5 years old, but very capable of running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for what we do with it.
Anyway, I have to re-install Windows on it and when I run Windows update, it keeps failing. Originally, I thought it was a problem with either the WU Servers at MIcrosoft, but this appears to be a problem with this PC itself or something else.

I can use the same install disc (and a different key) and it installs fine on other computers, so the media isn't an issue. Plus, it installs fine. It's just updating Windows I have a problem with. Keeps saying that Windows encountered an unknown error. And then when it reboots it will say stuff like "Failure to update properly" and then it uninstalls updates.

But this is limited to only this computer. It worked fine (Windows UPdate) when we were using XP on the computer.

I've gone to the extent of re-installing Windows, replacing hard drives? Could faulty hardware cause WU to fail?
I do have the AV software installed, but this is my typical procedure (although everyone recommends turning it off during updating). But it hasn't failed me on other computers---only this one.

Error codes are:
80070057, 80073712, 8007000D
All of which say that Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 update keeps failing - but only on one PC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Have you tried http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/?
or there's this http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/UpdateLists.aspx, that's not Microsoft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'd update the BIOS to latest revision available.

Make sure "AHCI" selected in Boot, not IDE Mode.

Using Win7, make sure to delete all partitions, reform a partition and format before installing Win7.

Hope you are correct about the laptop supporting 64bit Win7. You likely are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just throwing one in: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... every-time

Also figure out which ones are failing, note the KB##### value, and see if Microsoft has a manual updater online by searching that KB value.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes, I have verified the computer does support Windows 7 64-bit. It has the Intel G41/G43/G45 (don't remember which one exactly but they all support 64-bit OSes, so that's not the issue). The BIOS is configured to use AHCI (and NOT IDE). And I have updated the BIOS.

Is it possible that a hardware failure could cause this? Just an idea I had... there are no errors or hang-ups during install, and everything works fine (NIC, video, sound card, etc). And updates don't actually fail 100% of the time, but it's more like a 40-50% failure rate every time its run, whereas on my other computers, it's maybe 1 or 2 in 100 updates that fails which is acceptable, if it even fails at all on the other computers (which it usually doesn't).

What i don't understand is why it's just this one computer. I have another one that was purchased at the same time (same model, same age, etc). And that one doesn't have this problem.... I've even done low-level formats on the hard drive and am using OEM MS Windows installation media and CD key which was purchased for this machine.

The only things I can think of that may be causing it would be that I usually don't active Windows until I am sure that Windows UPdate is updating correctly (in case I have to do another re-install). I guess I could try disabling the AV as well, but like I said above, on all the other machines this isn't an issue (AV).
I may try changing out the hard drive just to see. It could theorietically be possible that a file is being corrupted because the drive has a bad sector or something, which Windows is designed to detect and avoid without crashing, but it's an idea I think I may try. If it still happens, then I'm really puzzled.
I'm about out of ideas....

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only way it's a hardware issue is if your RAM or where you installed it to is hosed, which if either were hosed, you'd have a system that would be giving you trouble elsewhere. I guess the motherboard could be a problem, but really, all this is doing is just updating files. And is everything failing or just a few updates?

Well, let's try something else.
  • Reinstall Windows, don't even connect it to the internet
  • Create a restore point after reinstallation
  • Install all drivers first.
  • Using another computer, download SP1 (assuming it doesn't come with it) and any manual updates that it needs to actually get it to install

If manual updating to SP1 (again, assuming it's not an SP1 disk already) fails, then use that restore point before any drivers were installed and try again.