Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hardware or Software Issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am 

This is weird, my system will turn itself on without anyone touching it. Here's what I have for my system: Intel i7 4820k, Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 1600 RAM, HIS Radeon 7970 video, eClaro sound, Samsung 840 series 500 GB SSD, WD Raptor Blk. Edition 300 GB, Plextor Blu-Ray Burner, all in a Cooler Master Stryker case. Oh yea a Silverstone CLC cooler. Software consists of a clean install of Windows 8.1 with all updates to keep it current. All running at stock speeds. Forgot the PSU is a 1000W modular Silverstone SST.

At first I thought maybe it was heat or a setting in the boards BIOS but I can run the system hard with games like Crysis and never even have a hiccup. I've pulled everything out and put everything back together again but it still turns itself on, even in the middle of the night. Any other ideas why the thing is turning itself on other than a ghost? I'm stumped with this one.

Post subject: Re: Hardware or Software Issue
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Turn itself on or off? Because what you're describing makes more sense if it was turning itself off.

And do you shut down the computer or put it to sleep when you're done? If it's the latter, then the OS is probably waking up the computer to do things and something's preventing it from going back to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:25 pm 

I double checked that it wasn't set to go to sleep. It will shut down in the normal way and go off after I'm done with it for the day. It will come back on several hours after that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Do you have the ASUS AISuite installed?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:46 am 

I don't have it installed. I can get it easily enough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I was going to say uninstall it if you did have it installed because that seems to be a common issue on ASUS boards. Unfortunately there's a too many solutions to this problem when I poked around in it. And maybe ASUS has a track record for this, as my G750JW doesn't shut down unless I give it a specific Windows command.

• Update your motherboard chipset drivers either from ASUS or Intel.
  • Update the BIOS
  • In BIOS, make sure all of the "Wake On [something]" options are disabled.
  • Try enabling ErP in the power options in BIOS
  • In BIOS, there's an option for what the computer should do in case of a power outage. If it's set to "Turn On", then have it set either to last state or off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 am 

I'll give it a shot and if one of them work I'll post it. One other thought could it possibly static? We put down new carpet over the winter. I'm wondering if I sit my tower on a anti-static mat might help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No. The case is basically a Faraday cage and should dump anything to ground.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I had static electricity shut one off once. I would be surprised if that's what's happening here, though.
Maybe it's part of the zombie legions and is Waking On LAN.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

In addition to the steps that LatiosXT said, do the same in Windows unless you use these functions: Make sure wake on LAN, wake on anything etc is off in LAN and wifi drivers, make sure Windows Update isn't set for auto update at 3AM (its default), and that Remote Assistant and Remote Desktop are disabled. I suppose it is possible some other startup updater (including malware) is turning the PC on and updating after hours.

Additionally if you use sleep mode I have seen room vibrations passing through the (especially optical) mouse (and I presume it could also work on a keyboard) wake the system. [I even had thunder wake a system and me up.] There often is a sensitivity function in the mouse's app. You would test by disabling (disconnecting) the mouse.

Another possibility is bad AC power...is the system on a UPS? I would actually expect that PSU would have good filtering.