Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Please help me
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:19 pm 

So I built a pc gaming pc last year and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on my hdd but I recently bought a ssd and wanted to install the 64bit version in it, so I am wondering if I do install it can I use my hdd and all the files and programs in it and how do I install it in the ssd ? Thanks in advance (Im kinda noobish so forgive my stupidity )

Post subject: Re: Please help me
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:49 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Installing Windows on an SSD is just like installing it on an HDD. There's nothing special or magical you have to do. You can run the programs on your HDD, except those that require activation. You just have to reactivate it. However, if you press the Windows Key + R (this opens the run prompt), type in %APPDATA%, and hit OK, copy the contents of this folder from the old install somewhere, then put it back in the same location in the new install. This should keep your program settings and data.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think he wants to know about the HDD containing Windows already. So if he installs Windows on the SSD now, what should he do with the HDD? How to move files, etc.? I think that's what he is asking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I answered the question in the way it was presented. If that's not what OP is looking for, then OP needs to clarify. :3

People shouldn't expect others to be mind readers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

masthefool wrote:
So I built a pc gaming pc last year and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on my hdd but I recently bought a ssd and wanted to install the 64bit version in it, so I am wondering if I do install it can I use my hdd and all the files and programs in it and how do I install it in the ssd ? Thanks in advance (Im kinda noobish so forgive my stupidity )

LatiosXT wrote:
I answered the question in the way it was presented. If that's not what OP is looking for, then OP needs to clarify. :3
People shouldn't expect others to be mind readers.

Isn't that what he is asking? He has programs on HDD that he wants into the SSD, but his HDD is set up with an OS already. Looks like he wants to migrate some files from HDD into SSD.

EDIT: Actually, reading it over again (commas make reading comprehension easier), he wants to know how to use the HDD and the files in it.

But, yeah, Latios, OP needs to clarify. It feels like I'm reading tea leaves or something.