Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hp dvd740 driver needed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 am 

Can someone point me in the direction of a good place to down load a driver for this dvd-rw.
HP DVD740B I think. I'm re-doing an older pc but the dvd won't load. The lights work when the pc starts and I put a disk in but that's it. The My Computer doesn't see the disk when it's in the drive. The cd-rom works fine.
I want to re-install windows 7 home premium on it but can't. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: hp dvd740 driver needed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Optical drives shouldn't need drivers. You could try the firmware update, but there are no drivers for it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:36 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Check this out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:48 pm 

Downloaded the firmware from HP, watched the dvd unit lights do their thing. It made no difference. I tried 3 other dvd roms and rw's I had laying around and the same thing, The lights come on, the drive activates for a little bit but that's it. I even tried switching the ribbon cable from the cd-rom to the dvd. I did run slimdrivers to update the board drivers if that matters. Would there be something I could adjust or change where the board or bios is concerned. I went into My Computer and the dvd drive shows and is functioning properly according to the properties box. I just get the message to insert a disk when I right click the open tab. And then it acts like it's starting to read the disk but stops. CD drive works fine. The dvd drive jumper is set to slave and the cd is set to cs setting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Ideally, they should either be Master/Slave or both CS. Depends on the cable, too. Safest bet is the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive in the middle of the cable is Slave. I kinda think it wouldn't show at all if that was the problem, but try that.
If the main issue is re-installing Windows; install from USB.
Get an .iso here (with a nod to FascistNation).
Get Rufus to make the flash drive bootable.
If the PC won't boot from USB use this to make a LiveCD that will then let you boot from USB (you'll need a computer to burn the CD, but you said the CD-ROM on the problem PC worked, right?).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:54 am 

I set the cd as master and the dvd as slave, tried a different cable too. I went into the F10 setup and I forget exactly but changed something from "forced boot" to normal boot. I got the drive to play a music cd but it won't play a normal dvd or a system dvd. I had to re-install the os before all this which is unfortunately XP. I did find a sp2 download for it. I had win7 on it before it died and want to re-install the 32 bit 7 upgrade. If I can't find a fix for this I may just trash the pc, I bought it in 2006 and use it for general purpose stuff. HP dx5150 MT business tower. is there a way to put the win7 upgrade on a flash drive and do it from there? assuming the usb works. Haven't checked that yet.
Maybe I should look at what the last person posted before asking if I can install from a usb! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:07 am 

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Ideally, they should either be Master/Slave or both CS. Depends on the cable, too. Safest bet is the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive in the middle of the cable is Slave. I kinda think it wouldn't show at all if that was the problem, but try that.
If the main issue is re-installing Windows; install from USB.
Get an .iso here (with a nod to FascistNation).
Get Rufus to make the flash drive bootable.
If the PC won't boot from USB use this to make a LiveCD that will then let you boot from USB (you'll need a computer to burn the CD, but you said the CD-ROM on the problem PC worked, right?).

I'll try this and see what happens, can't hurt. Is there anything else like a MB issue that may be causing this? just trying to cover the bases. Seems like it's very slow to load the os, I have 4 gigs of ram. I installed the drivers through Slimdrivers but the mouse acts weird sometimes, hesitant. I'll try a different mouse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:36 am 

I picked up a LG used dvd-rom at a local computer shop and it works. Got a message that there's not a dvd encoder installed so it can't play the dvd. Now I'll see if I can do my upgrade after I get a firmware upgrade for the dvd.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Glad you guys know this is an IDE drive. Cuz I'd have assumes SATA.

1. My first thought is bad drive. Does the DVD work at the end of the cable if it is the only occupant on the cable?

2. But, IDE drives can be pains. As was said, on W2k, XP or newer Windows systems CS (cable select) rather than Master/Slave is the way to go, and that is a jumper and the appropriate CS cable.

Still, IDE optical drives can be finicky on which position on the cable the drive occupies as to whether it works. Some drives insist on being on the end. Some drives insist on being the only ODD on the cable.

3. Of course a bad cable or controller can also be at fault.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:27 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I started thinking IDE by the age of the machine, but then OP stated that one was set as Master and one as CS. I always see the DVD drive as the Master, but it's the Slave in this set-up. Maybe that could be an issue? Maybe it was just a bad drive. Seems weird that it would work on a CD, but not a DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:17 am 

The drive I got at the local shop is working and windows 7 is installing now. The other drive(s) had to be bad. No it did not work at the end by itself to answer that. I'll be glad to get it done. Like I said, the cd drive was on cs and the dvd was on slave before and it worked fine. After I get this install finished I'll set it back to that. Anyone have more suggestions? I'm always open to them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Nope, I think that's all I've got. Sounds like you found the easiest solution. Too bad you had to spend money on it. As for the cable, hey whatever works (that's an 80-pin cable, right?). I still think it's weird about that drive, though. I'm gonna have to see if I can find out why CD is ok but DVD isn't. Let us know the next time something goes tits up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:06 pm 

Easy enough, dvd-rom came out of a system the guy was going to scrap. Stopped in while driving by on an errand and saw it there. He said it worked. He gave it to me for a whopping $5.00. Actually the $4.87 I had cash in my pocket. Good thing too 'cause I didn't want to spend any more $ on an 8 yr. old machine. I joined this site to get advice about these problems and have gotten it. Even some that was not helpful but I'm sure was well intentioned. Working to download the sp1 and 2 now so I can do windows update. Taking forever though.