Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Possible to re-mount Raid 0 array?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:32 am 

Hey all. The short version is, can I take 2 drives previously in a raid 0 and remount them as raid 0 with the data intact, or does removing them in the first place destroy the link between them?

Long version, I had a drive going bad and decided to finally pick up an SSD. I was going to just copy the data over from the raid that I needed, but discovered I could only fit 3 HD's in my case (Raven 02) and having a cloud backup, figured I'd just take out the raid and download the backup to reduce down time. I disconnected the drives, put in the SSD, and switched the mode to AHCI in BIOS for the new drive. After the Windows install I realized there were a couple minor things that would be nice to have (most recent bookmarks, a couple actions that got left behind). Nothing critical. Just wondering if I can get them back.

I have a NAS that's also raid 0, can I take those out, put the ones from the desktop in, and download the data? Or to be on the safe side, is there a good cheap toaster that I could use that would keep it intact?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Possible to re-mount Raid 0 array?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:23 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Just removing the drives shouldn't hurt anything. You should be able to take out the SSD put the RAIDed drives back in (and change the BIOS back as well). You'd be stuck making another image and restoring from it unless the stuff you want can be exported.