Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP6820s black screen - trying to install Windows 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 am 

I came across my old HP 6820s laptop which I bought about 6 or so years ago recently and which didn't have its hard drive in it any more.

I bought a preowned 500gb hard drive and the laptop itself should still have the 4GB of memory that I replaced the original 2GB in it and I was hoping to install Windows 7 which I got for free via university onto the hard drive, but now I may or may not have a problem in that I have a black screen even though everything else seems to work fine including the wireless light on the wireless power button as well as the on/off switch light.

As far as I know, before I took out the old hard drive from the laptop, everything worked OK, but now I'm puzzled as to why I can't get a picture...

Post subject: Re: HP6820s black screen - trying to install Windows 7
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Could very well be that a failure has occurred through aging (such as a capacitor) while the laptop was just sitting around.

Try it with and without the battery present plugged into the wall. Try it on battery power; though the battery may be dead.

Attach a external monitor to the VGA video output port and see if a signal can be obtained.

Shine a flashlight onto the laptop's monitor and see if you can spot letters/image or if it remains blank.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... .492883150

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... cachetoken

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... cachetoken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 am 

I confess I didn't think that a failure could occur through it not being used for so long.

I tried it with the battery on and still no picture (both button lights are a light blue if that's any help) and I removed the battery from the laptop while leaving it plugged in and the power went out from it as soon as the battery was removed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No picture period? And plugging in an external monitor doesn't show anything either?

If it appears the machine is booting up and the display out even in BIOS/POST, then the display is more than likely hosed. I guess as a last resort, you could crack open the laptop and make sure the LVDS cable inside wasn't jostled loose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:01 pm 

I don't have a external monitor unfortunately as my main htpc is hooked up to a tv.

Definitely no picture at all even though everything else seems to be working ok, even the DVD drive as I was able to put a Windows 7 install DVD into the tray.

I've just switched it on without it being plugged and there's still no picture.

What's a LVDS cable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

LVDS is what the laptop's display uses. It's inside the laptop itself, and there's no standard look to it. You just have to find the cables that come out of the display and see if they're snug in their connectors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 pm 

I'm really sorry about this and I really am such a dumbass that I didn't think about this, but I checked the memory slots to see what memory sticks I had in the laptop and it turns out that there was no memory in the laptop at all!

It turns out that I forgot that I'd taken it out and sold it a while back not thinking that I'd be possibly wanting to use the laptop again at a later date...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

1. No BIOS image at all when you shine a flashlight on the screen?
2. Zero memory should not keep the BIOS from booting up or at least the thing beeping its head off about no memory present.
3. It would cost $60 to repop the old laptop new, better IMHO to look for used that fit the specs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:40 pm 

FascistNation wrote:
1. No BIOS image at all when you shine a flashlight on the screen?
2. Zero memory should not keep the BIOS from booting up or at least the thing beeping its head off about no memory present.
3. It would cost $60 to repop the old laptop new, better IMHO to look for used that fit the specs.

There's been no beeping at all, the fan seems to work fine and there's no bios image at all when shining a light onto the screen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Before you go any further, did you check on the laptops site and see if win 7 drivers are available for the machine? If not, don't bother using win 7, you will have to use the OS that was on there originally. Win 7 may not have the generic drivers to run the motherboard and that is why no video.

You can try to use an early version of Live Ubuntu DVD to see if the machine is ok. If it boots up and has video you will know it is a driver issue with Win 7 that is causing no video issue.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:07 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jaycemeister wrote:
....there's no bios image at all when shining a light onto the screen.

That would indicate bad screen, bad cable connection or cable or bad video output chip rather than bad inverter or bad backlight then.

Lack of an output to external monitor would point to bad video chip (or output to a ext. monitor would demonstrate the video chip works fine).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nastyman wrote:
Before you go any further, did you check on the laptops site and see if win 7 drivers are available for the machine?...

The initial SVGA driver is built into the BIOS to display the BIOS menu and initial screen messages. It is OS independent. Since they are not displaying something else is wrong.

Also, I doubt there is any GPU out there that Win7 (without even SP1) couldn't display in at least SVGA mode as Win7's built in video driver bank is enormous and comprehensive. It has to be otherwise, how would anyone ever be able to install a video driver before displaying an image?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 pm 

I managed to fix the problem with the picture by adding some memory from one of my old laptops as suggested by a friend of mine, but now I have a new problem in that I can't install the OS onto the hard drive as it won't boot up he DVD which contains said OS install.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

So grab and burn the correct ISO for the product key of the disk you possess.