Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: best secure online storage
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am 
Willamette
Willamette

So I've been looking at the reviews from MaxPC on online storage services, but I need to find one that is the most secure (speed is not an issue, for I'm more concerned with security than I am with upload/download speed). I've been using Dropbox and OneDrive (SkyDrive) for non-confidential stuff (pictures, documents, music) but I need one for things like financial documents, or other stuff that needs to be secure. So I guess encrypted would be a good idea too.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: best secure online storage
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You have three options:
  • Use MEGA or Wuala, since it encrypts data locally before shoving it out onto its servers.
  • Encrypt the documents individually. Microsoft Word has something to do this
  • Package them up in an archive and encrypt it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

confidential documents in the cloud :shock: That sounds scary. But, I guess you should encrypt it then upload it, like Latios said

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:54 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I think you are nutz to use somebody's server to store any kind of sensitive data on....that is what a usb 3 My Book and the like is for. Once data is stored you can unplug it and put it in a safe! Encrypt it if you must, but it will be safe from everyone except you! Take a look at True Crypt, it is a good encryption tool and is free.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I guess the more I think about it, it isn't a good idea. I'll just get a large flash drive and store it in my safe deposit box with the confidential stuff (probably will still encrypt it though--although that may be unneeded because of where it will be). As for everything else (pictures, music, videos) they don't need to be encrypted obviously... so I'll probably just keep using the services I am using and NOT store confidential info in the cloud.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Keep in mind that flash drives need to be powered every few years. I think most of them have a shelf life of 10 years and then they may develop bitrot. It could be longer, but I know they don't last relatively forever.

Depending on the size of the safe box, I think you should also keep a hard copy of the really important documents.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:31 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This is really two conversations: 1. Secure storage on a cloud, and 2. Secure storage on hardware.

Secure meaning in addition to protecting from prying eyes, preserving and protecting.

As you have seen, cloud is not a good storage for several reasons, insecure, US government claim that once you put anything in the cloud it is public and therefor open to inspection without a warrant, and your heirs would have to know it is there and the password (handled by your estate attorney?).

As for secure storage...everything has problems. Even deices will fail sitting. And interfaces change. I'd consider M-DISC. For large amounts M-DISC BR. As was said Truecrypt is effective at encrypting (for now and assuming you use other than AES encryption) as long as your heirs have the password.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm not worried about interfaces changing. Even if something happens to replace USB in 30 years, there will be something out there that will be able to let you read it given the sheer amount of USB devices there are in the world.

I mean, there are gizmos out there that let you read 30 year old floppies, and the Centronics Parallel Port is still around on brand new motherboards.

Also if you encrypt the file beforehand and ship it onto the cloud, even if the government gets a hold of it, you still have plenty of defenses for you, including pleading the 5th (in the US at least) and saying you forgot your password (because they can't prove you remember it).