Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No sound on recent Win 8.1 upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm 

So for once, I have an issue not related to my HTPC
I have an Alienware M14R2. With the most recent 8.1 update and my own use of 8.1 on the HT, I finally decided the time was right to upgrade. I did so without incident.
Or so I thought. Today the sound inexplicably stopped working. The red x appears by the icon with the addendum "no headphones or speakers attached." Troubleshooting does nothing, and neither does restarting, re-installing the appropriate drivers listed on the Alienware website, multiple attempts at System Restore, and finally a Refresh.
I am really upset that I can't figure this out and wiped a decent amount of my installed programs/settings/updates in the process. Does anyone have any last minute suggestions for me before I end up having to take it somewhere?

Post subject: Re: No sound on recent Win 8.1 upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Does the sound card appear in device manager?

You can also try http://www.official-drivers.com/install ... 3god-hAAEg

Post subject: Re: No sound on recent Win 8.1 upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Normally, I'd figure the driver is currently incompatible with the latest 8.1 Update (and contact MS, Dell (Alienware) and the audio chip maker TS about it). . . but you seem to indicate audio was working after the update and then failed sometime later.

I hope it is a driver issue and LatiosXT's up to date Windows certified driver works. I do note that the specs for the laptop (assuming it is a Alienware M14x R2) indicate not a Realtek but a Creative Soundcard chip [Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio with THX TruStudio Pro Software].

Of course it could be that the audio has failed; which is likely since the laptop's speakers are not recognized assuming you have actually been installing the correct driver. I assume headphones do not work either? Did you check audio driver settings or the app's manager for setup configuration?

Still under warranty? If not, you can buy an inexpensive USB sound device. Of course it will be headphone or line out only.