Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus Motherboard "Red DRAM Light of Death"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:30 pm 

So, I recently realized that it had been 3 years since I built this PC and it was time to pull out the heatsink and replace the thermal paste, so I bought a tube of Arctic Silver and got to work. When I removed it, it was a horrorshow, I had applied far too much of the crappy paste poorly, so it had flowed out along the sides of the CPU holder, and had nearly made it's way into the pins. After cleaning it out with a toothbrush and Isopropyl, and dusting the rest of the case with CO2, the computer refused to start. The Red MemOK light was on, and no video was coming out. After checking the seating, and cycling MemOK a few times, i realized I had a problem. I doublechecked the pins for stray thermal paste or anything broken(there was some stuck to the side of the RAM as well), and unplugged everything non-essential (including the drives and the spare Memory card. Still no dice, fans cycle on, Red Light stays on even after it flashes through a MemOk cycle. I swapped the ram around all 4 slots in every possible configuration, still nothing. Very thoroughly cleared CMOS as well, shorting the jumper, removing the battery, and leaving it alone for 10 minutes unplugged.

I know this is a common issue, but it seems to be tougher, and I fear that it might be too late for the motherboard, as I might have broken some delicate balance of thermal paste against circuits when I began to futz with it.

ASUS P8P67 LE B3 Intel P67 Motherboard and Intel Core i7-2600K
Seagate ST3500413AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1 Tb, 500GB version also installed for additional Storage
8 GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX HyperX Desktop Memory
2xGigabyte Radeon 6850 in crossfire
APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Asus Motherboard "Red DRAM Light of Death"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The lesson is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Now that is it broke, I honestly have no idea other than rechecking all connections to make sure they are fully seated because thermal paste shouldn't carry a current.

* I presume you did not remove the CPU or loosen the ZIF socket?
* I presume there is zero effort to boot . . . it is just dead? No PSU fan movement, nor CPU fan movement?
* I presume no LED lights are glowing (other than memOK)?!
* Did you try a single stick of RAM? Followed by another single stick of RAM? I note that is 1.65V RAM. Is the BIOS set to run that? I can't remember but does the i7-2600k support that voltage?
* I presume you grounded yourself before working inside your PC and it was completely unplugged and discharged by holding the power button in for a few seconds before working on the PC?

Besides checking connections (assuming all were fully seated) you can remove the power switch from the MB front I/O header and short the two leads briefly with a flat screwdriver blade. If the PC comes to life then coincident bad switch.

If not then I would unplug the PSU from everything except one or two fans (or connect one or two fans through the Molex connector if not are presently connected) and then short the green wire to any black wire in the 24pin connector ("paperclip test"). The PSU should spring to life until disconnected from the green wire.

Post subject: Re: Asus Motherboard "Red DRAM Light of Death"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:42 pm 

FascistNation wrote:
The lesson is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Now that is it broke, I honestly have no idea other than rechecking all connections to make sure they are fully seated because thermal paste shouldn't carry a current.

* I presume you did not remove the CPU or loosen the ZIF socket?
* I presume there is zero effort to boot . . . it is just dead? No PSU fan movement, nor CPU fan movement?
* I presume no LED lights are glowing (other than memOK)?!
* Did you try a single stick of RAM? Followed by another single stick of RAM? I note that is 1.65V RAM. Is the BIOS set to run that? I can't remember but does the i7-2600k support that voltage?
* I presume you grounded yourself before working inside your PC and it was completely unplugged and discharged by holding the power button in for a few seconds before working on the PC?

Besides checking connections (assuming all were fully seated) you can remove the power switch from the MB front I/O header and short the two leads briefly with a flat screwdriver blade. If the PC comes to life then coincident bad switch.

If not then I would unplug the PSU from everything except one or two fans (or connect one or two fans through the Molex connector if not are presently connected) and then short the green wire to any black wire in the 24pin connector ("paperclip test"). The PSU should spring to life until disconnected from the green wire.

Thank you, when I get back to my PC I will try the above.