Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is my power supply bad?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:55 am 

I have a 2 yr. old pc with a GA Z68AP-D3 motherboard, it has a Turbolink ATX-TL500W BK power supply, EVGA 650 graphics card, Creative SB0770 sound card and a I3 2130 cpu. I had a power spike that took out the motherboard and hard drive. replaced both and the pc worked for a while. I did get a good surge protector. Then the mb went out. Sent it RMA to Gigabyte, they fixed it and it worked good again. Now it's not working again. Shut it off last night and it would not boot up this morning. It just powers on for 15 seconds and shuts itself off. Took the ram out and it doesn't beep. Could the power supply be damaging the motherboard? Even if it's still working.

Post subject: Re: Is my power supply bad?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:24 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you plug in the 4/8 pin plug to power the cpu? If not it will not boot.

You can jumper test the power supply with an unfolded paper clip. Unplug the 24 pin connector from the motherboard and short the green wire to any black wire. If the psu starts and runs including the fan, your psu works. However, if the voltages are wrong feeding the motherboard it won't boot. The only way to verify this is with another psu or look up the voltages coming out of the connectors on the internet and check them with a volt meter.

Did you plug the cpu fan in the correct socket? If you didn't the motherboard may not boot because it doesn't see a fan running....a safety feature.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Wasn't your question answered already and the thread locked? I think chuck must have double-posted when he joined, not knowing the rules.

He already got a new Corsair PSU and I think it was solved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 pm 

Yeah it's me, I double posted when it seemed like the admin was taking too long to confirm my membership. I was able to send the board back to Gigabyte. Well actually it'll go tomorrow. The old cheapie psu is fried on what I believe is the dc side where the system wires come off it. And I'm glad the other thread was locked, I asked a question and got more drama than I had with my ex. Give me a freakin, break.

As a ps, I know this doesn't solve anything I don't already know. I took the power supply to a so called expert at a local used computer sales and service shop to see if it could be tested. The person there who seemed upset to be bothered by me, plugged something into one of the connectors and said it was good. Go figure!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, just for fun OP, if you want, there are some PSU testers on Newegg.