Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Desktop message for missing item in startup routine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It's another one of those "Could not load or run..." messages on the desktop. Located in C:\Users\Owner\Appdata\Local

Interestingly, the file name is apparently STEAMA~1.COM.

I tried running the sfc /scannow command prompt. Didn't solve the problem. Went into the startup routine, couldn't do anything. Tried running CCleaner's registry cleaner as well.

Post subject: Re: Desktop message for missing item in startup routine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It looks like you may have a virus. Try going into Safe Mode with Networking and download install, update and run Malwarebytes. I Googled the program that won't run and came up with a bunch of hits for homosexual sites, so like I said you may have a virus. Try Malwarebytes like I said, in Safe Mode and see what it finds.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Do you have Steam installed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 am 

In ccleaner, from the left column, choose tools, then choose startup from the column to its right.
Look under the "file" area and find the one that matches the file location in the error you are getting, highlight it, and hit disable on the right hand side. that will kill the startup item for you.

This will only kill the startup item, if this is caused by spyware or virus it might come back again, so still run your scans with malwarebytes etc. to make sure the computer its clean.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Did a full scan with Malwarebytes in Safemode as Nasty said. After updating it. Detected and deleted three items. And now another message is popping up upon startup.

Also, CCleaner isn't showing said items in startup list.

And yes, i do have Steam installed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Does Steam start on start-up? Try turning it off in msconfig, CCleaner, or inside Steam. I don't use it so I'm not sure if that's an option or whatever. But, I think this is related to your Steam install. If stopping Steam at start-up stops the error that confirms it. As for a fix beyond disabling the start-up item, I don't know. A re-install? Does Steam have a repair option? Maybe somebody else could help further, assuming I'm right. Well, actually if I'm wrong you'll probably want somebody else, too. Hi-ho.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

You have a file location to the startup folder somewhere in the registry. Since the file is not in the startup folder you get the error message.

Since you say you use Stream, I'd uninstall it and then reinstall it and see if that gets rid of the message.

You can also search the registry with regedit or other registry editor for the file name, but that can lead to lots of hits and it can be hard to tell which is the old entry. I'd back up the registry first...in case.

One in between method might be to uninstall Stream using Revo Uninstaller set to Mode4 removal. Then be careful which associated links you approve of removing though in this case I don't think associated links would break anything. I'd set a System Recovery point before starting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Looks like Nasty was right from the get-go. I've got an even bigger problem now. The Vista UAC permission prompt (whatever the hell it's called) keeps popping up for a Rundll32 process. As soon as you cancel it, it pops up again, and won't stop. It's the Police Ukash virus. I've struggled with that damn thing for far too long. I don't know how in the hell it's infecting my system.

I tried running a scan in the background, doesn't come up with anything. And as Nasty suggested, i ran a scan in safemode with networking to update Malwarebytes. Nothing.

I even went on the Anvisoft forums. They told me to try their Rescuedisk method. Tried it with USB, set USB as first boot device, set the DVD drive via the DVD-R method. Their crap Rescuedisk didn't detect either one of them... Or unless it's my BIOS to blame. Anyway... i had to resort to doing a damn system restore. And unless i'm not correct, that seems to be a shoddy solution. Wouldn't the virus still be there even if i do the system restore? I'm on another user account, by the way. It's the only way i can use my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Wow, super shitty deal. I'd back up whatever you need out of there, maybe using a Linux tool and settle in for the scorched earth. Nuke and pave.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just performed a System Restore. It's fine... for now. Ran Malwarebytes. Its full scan is only four hours or so long... while Anvisoft's has been running for 7.. still going. Which i find quite odd. And none of them have detected anything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Okay, probably shouldn't run both scans at the same time. Also, I don't think I'd trust that Anvisoft. Do some web searches about it, it looks kinda shady. Even if it is legit it seems to be crap. If everything is running okay now I'd still back up and start over. My preference is for the free version of Avast (with an occasional on-demand scan with Malwarebytes), but there are plenty of other good, reputable free anti-virus programs to run in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Okay, probably shouldn't run both scans at the same time. Also, I don't think I'd trust that Anvisoft. Do some web searches about it, it looks kinda shady. Even if it is legit it seems to be crap. If everything is running okay now I'd still back up and start over. My preference is for the free version of Avast (with an occasional on-demand scan with Malwarebytes), but there are plenty of other good, reputable free anti-virus programs to run in the future.

Performed the system restore, ran Avast, detected five items. And now the STEAMA~1 message pops up on the desktop again. As well as a new one in Owner\Appdata\Local\Temp\ called "fclvjz4jr.cpp"

Uuuugh...

EDIT: I'm about to try the Boot-Time scan feature. See what that does.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Oh yeah, malware often has those goofy randomized file names. How'd that boot time scan go? If still no joy you might want to look for a rootkit scanner Oh, or ComboFix (careful with that one).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:28 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Oh yeah, malware often has those goofy randomized file names. How'd that boot time scan go? If still no joy you might want to look for a rootkit scanner Oh, or ComboFix (careful with that one).

Detected a couple of things. Nothing hugely significant. Didn't solve the problem, though. Updated Malwarebytes. Scanned, detected 30 items within the first couple of minutes. It's all great and dandy, but the registry values are still there. Uuugh... Anything other method of getting rid of them? Also, rootkit scanner? And, why's that Combofix worrisome?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I dunno man, I still think I'd just start over with a clean install. ComboFix is a great tool, it's just that you can f something up, matter of fact another one in the same vein is HiJack This . As for rootkit scanners try one (or some) of these.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
I dunno man, I still think I'd just start over with a clean install. ComboFix is a great tool, it's just that you can f something up, matter of fact another one in the same vein is HiJack This . As for rootkit scanners try one (or some) of these.

Interestingly enough... i tried starting Steam. And it WILL NOT start up. I have a network connection. It simply doesn't want to start.

I installed GMER, running it atm. Countless things are popping up from the Windows/System32 folder. They all seem to be encoded text files. What exactly is this thing scanning? Also, once it completes, what do i do then? There are only Stop, Copy and Save buttons in the UI.

But anyway, just to clarify. The malware is gone. The Run32.dll process isn't forcibly popping up, taking over my system... so, seems gone to me. The only problems are the messages popping up upon startup. So, i'm back to my original (and lesser if you ask me) problem. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Well if you're sure the malware is all gone I'd reinstall Steam.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Well if you're sure the malware is all gone I'd reinstall Steam.

Yeah, well, i suppose i might do that once i find out how to back up my game saves. Darn it all...

Oh, and the second message is still a mystery. I mean... could this simply all be a matter of finding these items manually and deleting them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Is that other error popping up, too? ("fclvjz4jr.cpp") Do you have CCleaner?
If not, get it. Run the registry scan, see what it turns up. Delete everything it finds (best practice: make a back-up when it offers before deleting).
No joy? Do like FascistNation said and fire up regedit (Start>Run>regedit>Enter). In regedit hit Ctrl+F and search for the things it's trying to run but can't find. Examine, back-up and delete those entries as seems appropriate.

This is Valve's "backup Steam games" page.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Is that other error popping up, too? ("fclvjz4jr.cpp") Do you have CCleaner?
If not, get it. Run the registry scan, see what it turns up. Delete everything it finds (best practice: make a back-up when it offers before deleting).
No joy? Do like FascistNation said and fire up regedit (Start>Run>regedit>Enter). In regedit hit Ctrl+F and search for the things it's trying to run but can't find. Examine, back-up and delete those entries as seems appropriate.

This is Valve's "backup Steam games" page.

I don't know if i ever mentioned, but Steam could never connect to the network for a long time. I went ahead and uninstalled... Whiped everything. There really is no way of backing up Steam saves. Apparently, according to some Steam forum poster, his saves were all still there after uninstalling Steam and reinstalling - something which i just did. How? That's my guess. Anyway, uninstalled Steam as i said, problem still persists. As for CCleaner, yes, i've got it, and i've since ran multiple registry cleanups. That's actually one of the first things that came to mind when this problem started.

Went into regedit, and the registry values are being searched for forever. It just can't find them. I've been using my system the same way i've been using it for the past several months, and all of a sudden, these startup messages pop up. It's ridiculous... For no apparent reason.