Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with data recovery
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:41 pm 

I have a win7 with a 500 GB 5400 rpm hdd. Now, I need a solution that makes sure I can conveniently get back data no matter what. Incase virus / malware infects me external hdds are out. With antiviruses, there is no assurance. Data lost is lost. Plus it slows down the PC. My data is also precious to me. I was thinking the answer is a recovery solution. I think Rollback Rx is a good recovery tool. I think its convenient. What do you guys have to say?

Post subject: Re: Help with data recovery
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Why are external hard drives out?

Win 7 has a nice utility to back up your pc to an external or internal hard drive.

I use an external "My Book" it runs in a usb 3 port and is almost as fast as my old hard drive.

There is no other way to do this unless you want to back up the drive to someones server "The Cloud" or make a Ghost copy of the drive....which will take a bunch of DVDs to do.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My guess is OP has some fear that the virus will spread to the external and compromise the hard drive, and putting that drive on something else will just re-infect the system.

But eh, there is nothing that's 100% certain. You could opt to use Linux instead of Windows. Less chance of malware infection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:21 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

terencehoward3005 wrote:
I have a win7 with a 500 GB 5400 rpm hdd. Now, I need a solution that makes sure I can conveniently get back data no matter what. Incase virus / malware infects me external hdds are out. With antiviruses, there is no assurance. Data lost is lost. Plus it slows down the PC. My data is also precious to me. I was thinking the answer is a recovery solution. I think Rollback Rx is a good recovery tool. I think its convenient. What do you guys have to say?

If you want assurance, then only back up that data after you have made multiple scans on it (mbam, and others etc...). Move the data to a drive that is "safe" scan it again, then use a program like (security essential) to move it back to a "safe" drive. I have yet to see a virus or malware make it through this without being removed.

I have, on the other hand, experienced seeing many viruses infect all rolled back points, or restore points, and will show themselves again. At that point I have yet to find a way to clean a computer.

Like LatiosXT Said " there is nothing that's 100% certain."

E